Three strikes and the Rooks are out at the hands of Folkestone Invicta – Lewes Community Football Club

Three strikes and the Rooks are out at the hands of Folkestone Invicta

Three strikes and the Rooks are out at the hands of Folkestone Invicta

Club news

Written by: Stuart

Lewes suffered their first defeat of the season, as a below-par performance was punished by a clinical Folkestone Invicta side, who left the sweltering Pan with a 3-1 win, reports Tom Harper (Pictures: James Boyes).

Tony Russell made two changes to the side that won 4-0 at Faversham in their previous game, with Archie Tamplin and Ryan Gondoh replacing Bradley Pritchard and Deon Moore, currently on international duty with Guyana, in the starting line-up.
Lewes saw plenty of the ball early on, keeping possession well without really stretching the Folkestone defence.
The first clear-cut chance of the game fell to the Rooks though, who saw Tommy Wood hit the post after being picked out by a Tamplin cut-back from the right at the end of an incisive passing move.
Lewes continued to look the more likely scorers, Gondoh collecting a short corner and making space for himself before seeing his low strike helped behind by Joe Coleman.
Folkestone grew into the game as the half progressed, with David Smith seeing a long-range deflected effort wrong-foot Nathan Harvey and hit the bar.
The visitors took the lead on 35 minutes, Smith capitalising on some hesitant defending to find a yard of space and shoot across Harvey and into the bottom corner.
They doubled their lead seven minutes later, as Jordan Ababio went on a purposeful run down the right before crossing for Ibrahim Olutade to finish from close range.
Folkestone started the second half on the front foot and nearly increased their lead, Olutade collecting a pass from Kane Penn before dragging his shot on the turn wide of the far post.
Penn was involved again for the visitors in their next goalscoring opportunity, sending in a cross from the left that Ababio fired over the bar at the far post.
Folkestone scored their third goal on 67 minutes, Ira Jackson, who had only been introduced as a substitute two minutes earlier, exchanging passes with Smith on the edge of the area before finishing emphatically.
To their credit, Lewes didn’t let their heads drop and pulled a goal back within two minutes, Kalvin Lumbombo-Kalala latching onto a Kieran Murtagh through-ball before finishing under the onrushing Coleman.
Lewes dominated the final 20 minutes, but were unable to find a second goal and set up a nervy finale.
Chris Whelpdale came closest to getting on the score-sheet, but narrowly missed the target with a close-range attempt and two further headers, leaving the Rooks with plenty to reflect on after their first defeat of the season.
Next up for Lewes is a trip to Ascot United in the FA Cup second qualifying round on Friday, kick-off at 7.45pm.
Lewes: Harvey, Elliott, Salmon, Penney, Hughes, Murtagh (Olukoga 74), Tamplin (Egan 74), Whelpdale, Gondoh, Lumbombo-Kalala (Dalling 79), Wood.
Unused Subs: Panyi, Pritchard.
Booked: Salmon, Hughes.
Folkestone Invicta: Coleman, Barton, Penn, Moses, Davies, Drury, Heard, Cole, Smith (Khanye 79), Olutade (Coker 75), Ababio (Jackson 65).
Unused Subs: Dempsey, Strizovic.
Booked: Barton, Khanye.
Attendance: 992