Three is the magic number as Rooks climb to second – Lewes Community Football Club

Three is the magic number as Rooks climb to second

Three is the magic number as Rooks climb to second

Men's football news

Written by: Stuart

A professional performance saw Lewes record a hard-earned 3-0 victory over Merstham at the Pan, reports Tom Harper.

Tony Russell named an unchanged side after last week’s impressive 4-1 win at Enfield Town.

Lewes took the lead after three minutes, as Ollie Tanner sent a superb 25-yard free-kick past Toby Bull in the Merstham goal and into the top corner.

The visitors looked comfortable on the ball throughout the game and nearly equalised immediately through Charlie Greenwood, who saw a goal-bound effort blocked after good work down the left by John Ufuah.

Merstham continued to look dangerous and saw Dylan Adjei-Hersey hit the post from the edge of the area, with Lewis Carey making a smart save to deny Huseyin Biler on the rebound.

Lewes doubled their lead on 38 minutes, as a pass from Taylor Maloney, introduced earlier in the half in place of the injured Bradley Pritchard, was deflected into the path of Joe Taylor, who ran through and finished into the bottom corner.

The Rooks controlled possession for the remainder of the half, but there was still time for Merstham to threaten on the counter-attack, with Korrey Henry sending a powerful strike over the bar as they looked for a route back into the game.

Lewes started the second half brightly and saw Tanner force a smart save from Bull after being teed up by Michael Klass at the end of an incisive move.

The resulting corner, taken by Maloney, was headed back across goal by Mitchell Nelson at the far post and Tom Phipp saw his close-range header deflected just wide.

The visitors remained a threat in the final third themselves though, with Ufuah shooting just wide from the edge of the area.

The Rooks made it 3-0 just after the hour, as Taylor sent Bull the wrong way from the penalty spot after Klass had been tripped in the area.

To their credit, Merstham continued to play on the front foot and saw Carey make a smart save to keep out a close-range Adjei-Hersey header, before denying Jack Haire after a corner dropped to him at the far post.

Lewes were being made to work hard for their clean sheet, with Carey reacting well again to save a strike from substitute Serge Makofo before Will Salmon was in the right place to clear the rebound off the line.

The closing stages passed without incident, as Lewes kept possession and saw the game out comfortably to record their fifth win in six league games and move up to second in the table.

Highlights, thanks to Your Instant Replay can be viewed here.

Today’s Progcast can be read online here.

The Rooks welcome Brightlingsea Regent to the Pan in their next game on Saturday, kick-off at 3pm.

Lewes: Carey, Spencer, Carlse, Salmon, Nelson, Klass, Phipp (Weaire 82), Pritchard (Maloney 19), Tanner (Allen 77), De-Graft, Taylor.
Unused Subs: Hall, Dalling.
Booked: None.

Merstham: Bull, Biler, Mason (Anderson 31), Gharbaoui, Lloyd, Richmond, Adjei-Hersey, Haire, Henry (Makofo 67), Greenwood (McGee 82), Ufuah.
Unused Sub: Hayles.
Booked: None.

Attendance: 879