Three goals, three points and a three-mendous performance from the Rooks – Lewes Community Football Club

Three goals, three points and a three-mendous performance from the Rooks

Three goals, three points and a three-mendous performance from the Rooks

Men's football news

Written by: Stuart

Lewes returned to winning ways, with a professional performance helping the Rooks to a 3-1 win at Bowers & Pitsea, reports Tom Harper.

Tony Russell made two changes to the side that lost 5-1 at home to Potters Bar in their previous game, with debutant Tom Phipp and Razz Coleman De-Graft replacing Bradley Pritchard and the suspended Ollie Tanner in the starting line-up.

There was also a place on the bench for new signing Deshane Dalling, who joined the Rooks this week with Phipp.

There were few chances of note early on, with the closest either side came to scoring being a long-range effort from Phipp which was pushed round the post by Mitchelp Beeney.

The Rooks were handed a great opportunity to take the lead on 17 minutes as Joe Taylor was tripped by Callum Leahy in the area. Taylor took the penalty himself, sending Beeney the wrong way from the spot to give Lewes the lead.

Lewes were enjoying plenty of possession, but Bowers looked capable of causing problems themselves, with Joshua Rusoke shooting over when well placed at the end of an incisive passing move.

The Rooks were looking sharp in the final third themselves though, and saw Taylor Maloney see an effort deflected just wide as they pushed for a second goal before half-time.

Lewes continued to control possession during the early stages of the second half as the rain became heavier in Essex, but were finding their hosts difficult to break down, with a smart Beeney save to keep out a deflected Maloney strike being the closest they came to doubling their lead.

The Rooks did make it 2-0 on 80 minutes through substitute Bradley Pritchard, who finished with aplomb after running onto a Maloney through-ball that had been dummied by Taylor.

It was 3-0 just four minutes later, Maloney finishing into the bottom corner after being picked out by Pritchard at the end of an impressive one-touch passing move.

Bowers kept their heads up though, and saw James White find the top corner with a 25-yard strike to reduce the deficit on 86 minutes.

Lewis Carey had to be alert to make a fine double-save just a couple of minutes later as the hosts threatened an unlikely comeback, and Lewes saw out the remainder of the game to record an impressive win heading into the busy festive period.

Lewes take a break from league action when they travel to Worthing in the Sussex Senior Cup third round next Saturday, kick-off at 3pm.

Bowers & Pitsea: Beeney, Bentley, Steward, Leahy, Monville, Manor (Warner 80), Rusoke, Dicks, Trendall (Ademiluyi 60), Albon (Sach 80), White.
Unused Subs: Stephen, Wind.
Booked: Dicks.

Lewes: Carey, Colombie, Carlse, Salmon, Nelson, Klass, Phipp (Pritchard 59), Maloney (Olukoga 85), Allen (Dalling 68), De-Graft, Taylor.
Unused Subs: Weaire, Parker.
Booked: Klass, Taylor.

Attendance: 238 (approximately 25 travelling Rooks)