The History Girls – Lewes Community Football Club

The History Girls

Women's football news

Lewes Cruise Past Keynsham To
Claim Spot In Last Sixteen

Keynsham Town LFC 0 Lewes FC Women 3

SSE Women’s FA Cup 4th Round

ANJ Stadium, Keynsham.

Goals from Amy Taylor, Georgia Bridges and a wonder-strike
from Sarah Kempson took Lewes into the 5th round of the FA Cup for
the first time in their history, writes Ash Head.

In front of a vociferous away support, Lewes gave a cool,
commanding performance that, save for a cameo near the end, saw ‘keeper Faye
Baker very much in the cheerleader role for much of the match.

Keynsham, flying high in the FAWPL South West, with several
higher-ranked scalps, including a 3-1 win over Lewes’s rivals C&K Basildon
last year, must have fancied their chances of an upset. But John Donohue’s side
soon established a control they never looked like relinquishing and the result
rarely looked to be in doubt.

The home side offered a threat going forward early on,
instigated by the excellent Justine Lorton, who’s reading of the game and
incisive movement stood out. The former England International pulled the
Keynsham strings, looking to send sharp-shooters Kerry Bartlett and Christina
Vega Leandro forward.

Lorton got short shrift from the Lewes back line, superbly
marshalled by Kylie McCarthy, supported by Darcey James and the combative Tash
Wells. Katie McInyre and Leeta Rutherford made life difficult for the hosts,
snapping in to challenges and winning the midfield battle.

Bridges had the first meaningful attempt on goal, a sharp
turn and snap shot that spun high and wide of Christer’s goal. Kempson, busy
and aggressive in midfield, released Vicky Carleton on the first of a series of
runs down the right. A second foray saw Christer flap at a whipped cross,
Bridges inches away from a telling connection.

Lorton was offered a chance to test Baker on the 20-minute
mark, the referee spotting an infringement as the Keynsham 10 shot from the D.
Her free kick travelled under the wall but Baker stood firm to collect easily.

Keynsham enjoyed their best spell of the match midway
through the first half, their high pressing game giving Lorton plenty of ball,
but they were unable to cut through. Lewes countered, Bridges racing clear on
the right to fire in a cross that eluded Taylor’s outstretched studs by a

With five minutes of the half to run, Taylor broke the
deadlock. After more good build up from Rutherford and Bergin, Taylor charged
at the K’s defence. As Christer raced out, Taylor beat her to the ball in a
typically brave challenge, sending her low finish into the bottom corner. 0-1.
Taylor caused havoc again a minute later, latching on to McIntyre’s clever pass.
Macca took the resulting corner short to Rutherford before curling in a fine
effort that Christer had to punch clear.

Kempson was offered a chance from 23 yards when Rutherford,
on the charge, was fouled to the right of the D, her smart left-foot strike
screaming just over the bar. HT 0-1.

Keynsham were offered a lifeline early in the second half
when Darcey James was harshly penalised for a tackle just outside the Lewes
area. Lorton it was who fired in a high, curling effort, well taken by Baker.

Lewes stepped on the gas. McIntyre, imperious, strode
forward to steal possession, sending Carelton away on the right. The winger
pressed her full-back, pinning K’s in their own half, a theme that would repeat
over the next forty minutes. Taylor set up Bridges who lashed her shot so hard
it flew clear out of the ground.

The Lewes 9 made no such mistake when offered a similar
chance just before the hour. Bergin and Taylor combined on the left to set up
Taylor’s low stike. An out-flung K’s boot sent the ball out to Bridges who
fired into the roof of the net from 8 yards. 0-2.

Four minutes later the contest was ended by a wonderful
goal. With Keynsham fighting a rear-guard action, Sarah Kempson took advantage
of a poor clearance to fire a screamer into the top right corner. 0-3.

Bridges might have added a 4th, her clever lob
beating Christer but clearing the bar by a foot. Donoghue introduced Claire
Johnson for Carleton as Bridges, Kempson and Taylor ran the K’s back line
ragged, the latter two making way for Bex Thompson Agbro and Charlotte Owen
with just over ten minutes to go.

 Keynsham had one final push for a consolation, Baker needing
to be alert as a long ball threatened to send Bartlett through, the Lewes
keeper judging her tackle and clearance to perfection. FT 0-3.

 Lewes manager John Donoghue was pleased with the way his
side managed the game.

 ‘I thought we were calm, we assessed the game and did what
we needed to do to control the match.’

 On fan’s MvP Amy Taylor’s display:

‘Amy is back in good form, that’s how we like to see her
play, closing down, creating problems. Defensively I though we looked
comfortable. Kylie (McCarthy) looked very assured. We’re pleased to be in the
hat for the 5th round, let’s hope for a nice home tie against one of
the big teams’

Donoghue has his wish. Lewes have been drawn at home to face
WSL1 Everton Ladies in the 5th round, to be played at the Dripping
pan on Sunday 18th February.

 MvP: Amy Taylor. Destructive, disruptive, fearless. Back on
top form.

Attendance: 75



Alexaandru, Radburn, Grogan, Brown, Cullen, Munro, White, Lorton, Bartlett,

Davies, Abi-Alias, Pratt


James, McCarthy, McIntyre (c), Kempson, Wells, Carleton, Rutherford, Bridges,
Taylor, Bergin

Subs: Lane, Johnson, R. Carter, Thompson-Agbro,