Sunderland cause Rooks stoppage time heartbreak – Lewes Community Football Club

Sunderland cause Rooks stoppage time heartbreak

Sunderland cause Rooks stoppage time heartbreak

Women's football news

Written by: Jack

Lewes FC Women were defeated away to Sunderland despite leading 2-3 going into stoppage time. 

The Rooks had twice led in the game thanks to Lois Heuchan’s early opener, and a sensational second half strike from Reanna Blades, but Sunderland fought back with minutes to play with Jenna Dear netting twice in two minutes.

The first five minutes of this game really set a precedent for the whole 90 minutes. Lois Heuchan stepped over a free-kick just four minutes in, and from a wide angle curled it all the way into the far corner with the help of a deflection.

Then less than a minute later, the Rooks celebrations were cut short as Sunderland, with their own free kick, found an equaliser following a good delivery which was smashed home from the centre of the box.

It gave the Lasses the bit between their teeth and they bombed forward with a flurry of attacks. Then less than 10 minutes later, they were in front from another free kick that was this time headed in.

Sunderland looked really strong from the second goal and were putting a lot of pressure on the Lewes back-line who for the most part were dealing with it well.

Then on the half-hour mark, Brasero-Carreira went on a darting run into the penalty area before being brought down in her tracks and won a penalty.

Up stepped Hollie Olding who, cool as you like, slotted home sending the goalkeeper the wrong way.

2-2 the score with 15 minutes until the break and you bet the drama didn’t stop there.

Almost straight from kick-off Sunderland went up the other end and forced an absolutely incredible save from Sophie Whitehouse who got down with a strong hand to deny Sunderland  going back in front.

The last kick of the half again put Whitehouse into action when she tipped a free kick over the bar which looked certain for the top corner.

Some time to breath was definitely needed in what was a crazy, end-to-end half of football.

From the restart, Sunderland looked a bit more flat and we saw more of the ball in the early exchanges.

Farrugia was introduced and had the half’s biggest chance on 59 minutes when Aimee Claypole teed her off on the edge of the box but she couldn’t quite keep her effort down and it rose just above the crossbar.

10 minutes later, Amelia Hazard went on a great run down the left wing, cut inside the box, then with limited options, struck venomously at goal missing by the tightest of margins.

Lewes were looking like the team that would go in front and did so went substitute, Reanna Blades, speeded down the right wing and struck wonderfully into the roof of the net from a tight angle. A strike so good that it looked at first that it must have taken a deflection!

Unfortunately it wasn’t to be for the Rooks, and with seven minutes added on, we were once again left to ponder what might have been, and conceded twice in two minutes, as Sunderland peppered the Lewes box and snatched a 4-3 win to go top of the league.

Sunderland: Moan, Brown, Goddard, Westrup, Ede, Rouse (McInnes), Fenton, McAteer (Ejupi), Dear, Jones (Watson), Scarr.
Subs: McCatty, Beer, Borthwick, Corbyn.

Lewes: Whitehouse, Hamilton, Godfrey, Hack, Heuchan, Roche (Blades), Hazard, Olding, Brasero-Carreira (Farrugia), Claypole (Ferguson), Riglar.
Subs: Moore, Cleverly, Garrad, Vassell.