Smash and grab from Canvey as they end the Rooks unbeaten home record – Lewes Community Football Club

Smash and grab from Canvey as they end the Rooks unbeaten home record

Smash and grab from Canvey as they end the Rooks unbeaten home record

Club news

Written by: Stuart

Lewes suffered their first home league defeat of the season, as a second-half brace from Evans Kouassi saw Canvey Island leave the Pan with a 2-0 win, reports Tom Harper.

The Rooks started brightly and could have taken an early lead through Ryan Gondoh, who went on a purposeful run down the right before shooting into the side-netting.
Lewes continued to get plenty of joy on their right as the half progressed, an incisive passing move ending with Razz Coleman De-Graft cutting the ball back for both Jayden Davis and Tyrique Hyde to have goal-bound efforts blocked.
Both sides were playing their part in ensuring fans were treated to an open, entertaining game of football under the lights, with Canvey Island pressing high up thd pitch and committing players forward whenever possible as they looked to take the lead themselves.
The better chances continued to fall to Lewes though, De-Graft cutting in from the right before seeing a well-struck effort saved by Bobby Mason at his near post.
The visitor’s first presentable chance of the game minutes later saw Kouassi miss the target from close range after the Lewes defence had been unable to clear a Sam Mvemba long-throw.
The Rooks went close again in the final acrion of the first half, another flowing move ending with Hyde shooting straight at Mason from the edge of the area.
After a first half that saw Lewes look the more likely scorers, the second was the complete opposite, and the tone was set within minutes of the restart as De-Graft was forced to clear a looping header from a left-wing corner off the line.
Lewis Carey was then called into his first meaningful action of the game, making a smart save with his feet to deny Joe Paxman at the end of an excellent run through the Lewes defence.
The Rooks were finding it difficult to keep possession and this resulted in more pressure from Canvey Island, who saw Kouassi make space for himself on the edge of the area before shooting just wide.
The visitors took the lead their second-half pressure had been threatening on 73 minutes, Kouassi embarking on a superb run from inside his own half before finishing emphatically across Carey and into the bottom corner.
Lewes continued to struggle to create chances as they had done during the first half and were caught with a sucker punch six minutes from time, as they lost possession deep inside their own half, allowing Kouassi to be played through on goal and finish past Carey to make it 2-0 snd secure all three points for the impressive visitors.
Highlights of the game from Your Instant Replay here.
More of James Boyes’ photos can be seen here.
You can read the progcast here.
The Rooks will hope to return to winning ways when they welcome Potters Bar Town to the Pan on Saturday, kick-off at 3pm.
Lewes: Carey, Tamplin, Mundle-Smith, Champion, Young, Olukoga, Davis (Pritchard 60), Hyde (W. Salmon 90), Gondoh, De-Graft, Taylor.
Unused Subs: Huckle, Hall, Murrell-Williamson.
Booked: None.
Canvey Island: Mason, Sorondo, Mvemba, J. Salmon, Ronto, Girdlestone, Edwards, Hubble, Sach, Paxman (Albon 86), Kouassi (Tinubu 85).
Unused Sub: Jackson.
Booked: Mvemba.
Attendance: 576