Rooks ease past Shoreham to extend lead at the top of the table – Lewes Community Football Club

Rooks ease past Shoreham to extend lead at the top of the table

Rooks ease past Shoreham to extend lead at the top of the table

Men's football news

Two goals in each half saw Lewes record a comfortable 4-0 victory over bottom-of-the-table Shoreham at the Pan and move five points clear at the top of the Bostik South reports Tom Harper.

Darren Freeman named an unchanged side from the 4-2 victory at Phoenix Sports 11 days previously, and was able to include Jamie Brotherton on the bench on his return from illness.

Lewes started brightly and had the first opportunity of the game early on, with James Broadbent in the Shoreham goal only able to parry a James Hammond strike from the edge of the area into the path of Steve Brinkhurst, whose effort on the rebound went over.

The Rooks were enjoying plenty of the ball, and saw both Hammond and Bouwe Bosma go close from distance as they looked to turn possession into goals.

Lewes finally took a deserved lead after 25 minutes through Jonte Smith, who calmly sent Broadbent the wrong way from the penalty spot after Gus Sow had been tripped in the area by David Koduah.

Shoreham were finding it difficult to get out of their own half as Lewes looked to extend their lead, with Smith having a close-range header disallowed for offside after a powerful Bosma effort had come back off the crossbar.

The Rooks doubled their lead seven minutes before half-time with a well-worked corner taken by Sow, which saw Bosma flick the ball on at the near post and Lloyd Cotton volley home from point-blank range.

Lewes continued to dominate the closing stages of the half, with Broadbent denying both Charlie Coppola and Leon Redwood, and Smith hitting the outside of the far post with a close-range header from a Redwood corner.

The second half followed a similar pattern to the first and Lewes scored a third goal just after the hour mark, as Smith latched onto a perfectly-weighted through-ball from Brinkhurst and unselfishly squared the ball for Bosma to finish into the empty net.

The Rooks made it 4-0 after 68 minutes through Redwood, who cut inside from the right after a quickly taken short corner and sent a powerful low strike across Broadbent and into the far corner.

Lewes could have been forgiven for allowing their intensity to drop slightly during the final 20 minutes ahead of a busy run of fixtures, but they continued to push forward and looked to add to their lead.

They came close to doing so through substitute Jamie Brotherton, who forced another impressive save from Broadbent, before the Shoreham defence somehow managed to block a close-range effort from Smith just minutes later.

The final chance of the game fell to Ronnie Conlon, whose curling strike from the edge of the area took a slight deflection on its way over the bar.

Darren was obviously delighted with the win when he spoke to Barry Collins post match.

Lewes will hope to build on this result when they travel to Ashford United on Saturday, kick-off at 3pm.

Lewes: Winterton, Brinkhurst, Redwood, Hammond (George 53), Chappell, Cotton, Bosma (Medlock 62), Sow, Smith, Coppola (Brotherton 66), Conlon.

Unused Subs: Hurley, Reed.

Booked: None.

Shoreham: Broadbent, Koduah, Gates, Whitmore, Dunk, Bromage, Collyer, Myers, Roddy (Kruszinski 84), Mensah (Firmin 69), Leitch (Follea 84).

Unused Sub: Bullivant.

Booked: None.

Referee: Barrie Small

Attendance: 374