Rooks Wembley dreams ended for another season – Lewes Community Football Club

Rooks Wembley dreams ended for another season

Rooks Wembley dreams ended for another season

Club news

Lewes exited the FA Trophy at the first hurdle after a 2-0 defeat against league leaders Folkestone Invicta on a Autumnal afternoon on the Kent coast, reports Stuart Fuller.

Managers Ross Standen and Tony Coade were forced into changes from the team that beat Corinthian Casuals on Wednesday night with both Peter Gregory and Jordy Mongoy unavailable, replaced in the starting XI by Stefan Ilic and Alex Malins respectively.

With the rain and wind swirling around the stadium, it wasn’t the most fluid of opening periods but the Rooks seemed to master the conditions better than the hosts, forcing a number of early corners. From one of those Redwood in-swingers, Stefan Ilic had the best chance of the half, sending his header just wide. Lewes got into good positions on a number of occasions but rarely troubled keeper Newcombe as the ball hit every part of the terrace behind the goal. Dayshonne Golding looked a lively threat but was stopped on numerous occasions but a last-gasp tackle.

Alfie Paxman was booked for a late challenge on Ilic in the 35th minute, giving The Rooks a free-kick in a dangerous position but Redwood’s kick couldn’t find a Lewes head. At the other end, Nathan Stroomberg had to be alive to keep out a Ira Jackson effort as the first half-end in stalemate.

The home side came out for the second half with a new game plan that saw them start to pepper the Lewes penalty area with high balls, using the conditions to their advantage and it was no surprise when they took the lead although questions have to be asked by the fact that one of the smallest men on the pitch, Alfie Paxman, was able to head home unmarked at the far post after a Vincent deep cross.

With fifteen minutes to go the home side hit the bar through McCann’s curling effort and just a few minutes later they made the game safe when Hasler’s shot after a corner was cleared flew in off Frankie Chappell, sending Stroomberg the wrong way.

A late flurry of attacking play by The Rooks almost saw them grab a consolation when James Hammond shot wide from a good position. However, it was not to be and our FA Trophy campaign ended for another season.

Highlights on the game from Your Instant Replay, can be viewed here.

As Wingate & Finchley drew their FA Trophy tie yesterday our game against The Blues on Wednesday will have to be rearranged. Our next game will be away at Cheshunt on Saturday in the Isthmian League Premier Division, kick off 3pm.

Folkestone Invicta: Henry Newcombe, Josh Vincent, Alfie Paxman, Matt Newman, Callum Davies (Captain), Ronnie Dolan (Sam Hasler, 46 mins), Scott Heard, Micheal Everitt (Finn O’Mara, 34 mins), Ira Jackson, Jerson Dos Santos & Kieron McCann.

Unused Subs: Johan Ter Horst, Stephen Smith, Nat Blanks, Tim Roberts

Booked: Paxman, Davies

Lewes: Nathan Stroomberg-Clarke, Teddy Bloor (Kane Diedrick-Roberts, 65 mins), Leon Redwood, Michael Dome-Bemwin, Frankie Chappell (Captain), Alexander Malins, Dayshonne Golding, James Hammond, Stefan Ilic (Dylan Gifford, 74 mins), Michael Onovwigun (Tegan Freeman, 89 mins) & Thomas Day,

Unused Sub: Jay Popha

Attendance: 332 (21 Rooks fans)