Rooks weather the conditions and grab a point at Carshalton Athletic – Lewes Community Football Club

Rooks weather the conditions and grab a point at Carshalton Athletic

Rooks weather the conditions and grab a point at Carshalton Athletic

Club news

A well-deserved equaliser from James Hammond saw the Rooks come away from a wet and windy Carshalton Athletic with a point, reports Stuart Fuller

Manager Darren Freeman made a few changes from the win at Brightlingsea Regent, with Tom Day returning to the team, replacing Dquame Copeland who returned to Welling United after his loan, Leon Redwood returning to the side after almost 8 months out at the expense of Martyn Box and Kayne Diedrick-Roberts retaining his spot with Peter Gregory dropping to the bench.

The opening period of the game saw both teams trying to adapt to the wind and the rain. The busiest person in the ground in the opening quarter was Xavier our physio who had to treat Kayne, Michael Onovwigun and Jordy, with the Rooks centre-forward unable to continue after he damages his hamstring in shooting over after a great through ball from Hammo. The Rooks midfielder had also a golden chance himself when Mongoy was the provider but his shot was pulled wide.

Two minutes later and the hosts took the lead in unfortunate circumstances. Keeper Nathan Stroomberg played a short ball to Tom Day and when the left-back played it back, Nathan took a first touch but Korboa took the ball off his toes and walked the ball into the net.

The Rooks response was positive with Onovwigun and Hammond both forcing the Carshalton keeper into saves from headers.

Just before half-time, Onovwigun went into the referee’s book for a harsh foul which resulted in Adeniyi running 30 yards to scream at the referee, earning a yellow card himself.

Before the players and the crowd had an opportunity to calm down, a ball into the box was headed down by Dayshonne Golding and James Hammond was on hand to smash the loose ball home to equalise for the Rooks.

The second half so no let up in the rain which made the 3G pitch even slicker and hindered both teams intent to play a fast passing game. The home side shaded the few chances although Nathan was rarely troubled in the half, with our defence throwing everything in the way of goal-bound efforts.

Saturday’s match-winner, Ola Adeyemo was thrown on for the final 20 minutes to see if he could find a winner but there was to be no real further chances on goal and the game finished all square.

Post match Darren spoke to Barry Collins about the game and recent progress within the squad.

The Rooks now have a 12 day rest as this weekend’s game at Haringey Borough is postponed due to their FA Cup involvement but return with a trip to East Thurrock United on Saturday 12th October, kick off 3pm.

Carshalton Athletic: Perntreou, Price, Dudley, Cheadle, Kamara, Adeniyi, Haxhiu, Bradford, Korboa, Thomas (Koroma – 68 mins), Pattisson

Subs not used: Parez, Vacindio, Sogbanmu

Booked: Adeniyi, Bradford

Lewes: Stroomberg, Day, Redwood, Dome-Bemwin, Chappell, Malins, Golding, Hammond, Diedrick-Roberts (Adeyemo – 72 mins), Onovwigun, Mongoy (Gregory – 23 mins)

Subs not used: Box, Ilic, Bloor

Attendance: 297 (27 wet Rooks fans)