Rooks take Enfield to Town – Lewes Community Football Club

Rooks take Enfield to Town

Rooks take Enfield to Town

Club news

Written by: Stuart

Lewes returned to league action with a thumping 4-0 win over Enfield Town at the Pan, reports Tom Harper (pics: James Boyes).

Tony Russell made four changes to the side that lost at Aldershot Town in the FA Cup, with Archie Tamplin, Bradley Pritchard, Deon Moore and Ola Ogunwamide replacing Ayo Olukoga, Kieran Murtagh, Alfie Egan and Chris Whelpdale in the starting line-up.
There were few chances of note early on, as both sides appeared to use the opening stages to get used to the slickness of the pitch following intermittent downpours all morning.
The first incisive Lewes move after 15 minutes ended with Moore finding Harvey Hughes 20 yards out, who saw his powerful strike helped over the bar by Rhys Forster.
The resulting corner from the left, taken by Pritchard, found Arthur Penney unmarked at the far post, and he was able to guide his header into the bottom corner to give Lewes the lead.
The Rooks enjoyed the better of the remainder of the half, a swift counter-attack ending with Ogunwamide being denied bravely by Forster after a superb Marcus Sablier cross.
Forster was called upon again minutes later, doing well to keep out a powerful Tommy Wood strike after initially being unable to hold on to an Ogunwamide knock-down.
Lewes started the second half on the front foot, with Moore teeing up Sablier, whose effort was smartly saved by Forster.
The Rooks finally scored the second goal their pressure had been threatening on 57 minutes, as Wood held the ball up well down the right and found Moore, who made space for himself before shooting across Forster and into the bottom corner.
Moore, who scored in both of his appearances for Guyana during the recent international break, soon went close again, cutting in from the right before seeing his powerful strike tipped round the post by Forster.
Lewes made it 3-0 on 66 minutes, Wood seeing a powerful cross-shot from the right which appeared to be going wide deflected into his own net by James Richmond.
Wood has started to add goals to his impressive all round performances in recent weeks, and he completed the scoring on 77 minutes, sending a superb shot on the turn from the edge of the area into the bottom corner to make it 4-0 and cap a fine display.
The visitors briefly threatened a consolation late on, with Nathan Harvey called into action to keep out relatively tame efforts from George Sykes and Marcus Wyllie, before making an excellent save to turn a powerful Reece Beckles-Richards strike round the post.
Lewes saw out the closing stages comfortably to return to league action with a win after three weeks of cup games.
Highlights from Your Instant Replay can be viewed here.
The Rooks travel to Carshalton Athletic on Monday, kick-off at 7.45pm.
Lewes: Harvey, Tamplin, Vint, Elliott, Hughes, Penney, Pritchard (Murtagh 82), Sablier, Moore, Ogunwamide (Dalling 74), Wood (Whelpdale 84).
Unused Subs: Egan, Salmon.
Booked: None.
Enfield Town: Forster, Parcell, Payne, Thomas (Onyeagwara 62), Coker, Richmond, Knight (Beckles-Richards 64), Sykes (Soulya-Osekanongo 85), Keeya, Wyllie, Birch.
Unused Subs: Adjei-Hersey, Bailey.
Booked: None.

Attendance: 751