Rooks suffer injury time heartbreak at Potters Bar – Lewes Community Football Club

Rooks suffer injury time heartbreak at Potters Bar

Rooks suffer injury time heartbreak at Potters Bar

Men's football news

Written by: Stuart

The Rooks suffered injury-time heartbreak as top of the table Potters Bar Town came from 3-1 to win at the death.

Rooks boss Tony Russell was once again forced to shuffle the pack with injuries to Jamie Mascoll and Tyrique Hyde, Marcel Elva-Fountaine and Ayo Olukoga coming in to replace them.

The Rooks controlled the early play, stretching the play and it was from a wide position, with a crafty run from Olukoga that saw Joe Taylor smash home from close range in the 7th minute. The prolific striker should have had a second 10 minutes later when he was put clean through on goal but unusually shot wide with just the keeper to beat.

The home side looked to the aerial bombardment route to try to break down the Rooks but Carey, Salmon and Champion were mopping up everything thrown at them. Then two minutes before the break confusion reigned in the Potters Bar penalty area after Taylor put the home keeper under pressure and he handled a back-pass, resulting in an indirect free-kick ten yards out. Taylor was perfectly teed up and smashed the ball home to make it 2-0.

As we entered time added on Potters Bar pulled one back when Aidoo struck one from the edge of the box after a corner had only been partly cleared.

The second half started similar to the first with Lewes looking to cut through the league leaders. In the 50th minute Razz pulled two men over to the left-hand side, creating a huge amount of space to TQ Addy who made no mistake from ten yards.

It was one way traffic at this point. Skinner shot into the side netting, Razz hit the post and the Rooks were one pass away from a fourth on numerous occasions.

As the game entered the final ten minutes it still looked like a Rooks win. However, a Salmon header fell to Miles Mitchell-Nelson whose shot was deflected past Carey to bring it back to 3-2. Then, in the final minute the home side got a corner which was highly disputed by the Rooks defence. The ball was cleared but only to Kamara whose acrobatic shot from a tight angle made it 3-3. A superb goal but a punch in the stomach for the Rooks.

But worse was to come. As we entered the 5th minute of the five extra to be played the home side threw the ball forward one last time and it fell to Rudy Allen who hooked the ball over Carey, to send the players, bench and fans wild in celebration.

It was a tough game to lose, the first in eight leagues games, but the Rooks will dust themselves off for the visit of Bowers & Pitsea on Saturday.

Potters Bar Town: Tokarczyk, Titchmarsh, Shaw (Dickson 55 mins), Martin, Mitchell-Nelson, Kpohomouh, Monville, Allen, Dembele, Kamara, Aidoo Subs not used: Hoti, Noel-Williams, Kauzeni, McRitchie Booked: Titchmarsh, Dickson

Lewes: Carey, Elva-Fountaine, Renee, Salmon, Champion, Young, Olukoga, Skinner (Nelson 85 mins), Addy, Coleman De-Graft, Taylor Subs not used: Mascoll, Dalling, Hall Booked: Skinner, Coleman De-Graft

Attendance: 173