Rooks suffer as the only way is Essex against league new boys Bowers & Pitsea – Lewes Community Football Club

Rooks suffer as the only way is Essex against league new boys Bowers & Pitsea

Rooks suffer as the only way is Essex against league new boys Bowers & Pitsea

Club news

Lewes suffered a second defeat in the space of a week as they conceded a goal in each half to Isthmian League Premier Division new boys Bowers & Pitsea, reports Stuart Fuller.

After the midweek defeat to rivals Worthing, manager Darren Freeman rang the changes for the first ever meeting with Bowers & Pitsea, with Jason Dawson and Kayne Diedrick-Roberts, replacing the injured Dayshonne Golding and Stefan Ilic, relegated to the bench after his sending off against the Rebels.

It was a game of few chances, with both teams wasteful in their passing and possession.  The home side had the first chance in the 10th minute when James Hammond’s free-kick evaded everyone in the area but flew just wide of the post.  Ten minutes later Stacey Freeman put in a great cross which was headed behind by a Bowers defender but the resulting corner came to nothing.

The visitors had their best chance in the 31st minute when Bradley Warner’s speculative effort from distance had Stroomberg beaten but fortunately for the Rooks also the post.  Five minutes later and Warner made no mistake with a crisp near post header from a Monville cross to open the scoring.

Freeman withdrew Jason Dawson at half-time in favour of Stefan Ilic and the Lewes midfielder bought a spark to proceedings.  Tom Day had a good chance in the 52nd minute but the keeper was alive to the danger, whilst at the other end David Knight almost spectacularly adding a second for Bowers & Pitsea with an acrobatic effort that just went over the bar.  

Just over the hour mark Michael Dome-Bemwin picked up a yellow card for a tug on Monville and from the resulting free kick the tricky wideman almost hit the target with a stinging half-volley.

Lewes switched to an attacking formation with Mongoy, Bown and Ilic up front, whilst substitute Zack Fagan tucked into midfield but it was his mistake, giving possession away in the 85th minute that led to the second goal from the visitors as Lewis Manor picked up the loose ball and the big striker held off Chappell and slotted home.

he Rooks finally came alive with just five to play.  Dean Bown hit the post in the last minute for the home side whilst a good shout for a penalty after Stefan Ilic was hauled down was waved away by the referee.  In the final minute Kieron Pamment’s drive after a Hammond free-kick was blocked almost beat the keeper.

There was nearly a third for our visitors as the impressive Monville ran onto a through ball, skipped around Nathan Stroomberg but his ball across the six-yard box eluded Manor.

The result saw the Rooks fall to the bottom of the table and post match Ross spoke to Barry about a poor afternoon’s work.

Pictures from the lens of James Boyes can be found here.

The Prodcast can be read here.

The Rooks head down to the seaside next weekend for the clash with Margate on Saturday before we return here on Bank Holiday Monday for the derby against newly-promoted Horsham.

Goals: 0-1 Bradley Warner (36 mins), 0-2 Lewis Manor (85 mins)

Lewes: Stroomberg, Dawson (Ilic 46 mins), Day, Dome-Bemwin, Chappell, Freeman, Pamment, Hammond, Adeyemo (Fagan 78 mins), Diedrick-Roberts (Bown 55mins), Mongoy

Subs: Barclay, Wilson

Bowers & Pitsea: Chafer, Sammons, Stephen, Stokes, Lee, Leahy (Cornhill 57mins), Monville, Sartain, Warner, Knight (Clark 82mins), Thomas (Manor 57mins)

Subs: Hine, Trendall

Attendance: 410 (approx 17 away fans)

Referee: James Robinson