Rooks Return To Winning Ways – Lewes Community Football Club

Rooks Return To Winning Ways

Rooks Return To Winning Ways

Women's football news

Lewes 2 – 1 Charlton Athletic

The Rooks got their first win since October on Sunday as two first half goals were enough to beat Charlton Athletic 2-1.

The hosts got the game underway and within the first two minutes there were shouts for an early Lewes penalty as Sophie O’Rourke went down in the area. However, the referee had a clear view of the challenge and waved play on.

On four minutes, Simran Jhamat tried a looping effort that went just wide of the Charlton post.

The visitors first chance didn’t come until the 11th minute when Charlotte Gurr’s tame effort was comfortably saved by Tatiana Saunders.

Lewes had a chance just a minute later when Ellie Leek played in a free-kick from just inside the Charlton half, but it was narrowly out of the reach of Danni Lane who looked to head it goalward.

Another chance came for the Rooks on 20 minutes. A corner was initially cleared by Charlton, but O’Rourke was able to cross it back in and Rhian Cleverly was there to get a shot away which was straight at the ‘keeper. The captain then tried to play a low ball in, but again Eartha Cumings was there to collect.

Megan Mackey attempted a first time shot from outside the area on 28 minutes, but the ‘keeper was equal to it.

11 minutes later and Mackey did find the net. Leek played in a free-kick with the clearance falling to Mackey whose outside of the boot shot clipped the post and went in.

The Rooks then doubled their lead on the stroke of half-time. Sammy Quayle picked up the ball and drove into the Charlton penalty area and fired a shot past Cumings to make it 2-0.

Five minutes into the second half, Paula Howells did well down the left and managed to get into the area, but dragged her shot wide.

On 57 minutes a good Lewes counter attack was almost rewarded with a goal, but Jhamat’s shot went just wide of the post.

However, on 64 minutes, the Addicks got a goal back. A cross was played into Charley Clifford who headed it down to Lois Heuchan and she was able to loft it over Saunders and into the net.

Charlton stepped up the pressure as they searched for an equaliser. Saunders was required to make a good save on 70 minutes with Quayle blocking the follow-up shot.

Six minutes later and Nicola Cousins was called into defensive action to cut out a dangerous cross. The number five was there again on 84 minutes to shield the ball out for a goal kick.

The Addicks had a free-kick in a dangerous position on 88 minutes that Saunders pushed away. Cleverly was then there on the line to clear the follow-up shot away and keep Lewes in the lead.

The Rooks were able to hold on in the closing stages, earning them three points.


Lewes: Saunders, Quayle, Cleverly (C), Cousins, O’Rourke, Lane, Leek (Savva 71), Howells, (Donovan 71), Mackey (Hack 81), Jhamat (Jones74), Rood (Porter 71)

Subs not used: Hartley, Noble, Boswell, Griffin

Goals: Mackey 39, Quayle 45


Charlton Athletic: Cumings, Roe, Smith, Clifford (C), King, Gotch, Gurr (Laudat 82), Legg (Griffiths 60), Vassell (Dorey 46), Heuchan, Lumsden (Rutherford 46) 

Subs not used: Coombs, Watling, Eligon 

Goal: Heuchan 63