Rooks pay for being too Casual – Lewes Community Football Club

Rooks pay for being too Casual

Rooks pay for being too Casual

Men's football news

Lewes were made to pay for being wasteful in front of goal as they lost at relegation-threatened Corinthian Casuals, reports Stuart Fuller.

Managers Ross Standen and Tony Coade changed the formation to 3-5-2 with a number of changes from the defeats against East Thurrock United and Peacehaven & Telscombe in the last week.

The Rooks almost took the lead in the first minute when a marauding run and cross from Harry Reed was inches over Tony Mendy’s head and then James Hammond couldn’t quite get a shot away. After that excitement, both sides struggled to break the back lines until Billy Medlock had the first of many chances when he was set up by Harry Reed who had got being the full-back and squared the ball to the Rooks number 10 but Bracken got down well to save.

At the other end the home side had their best chance of the game when Odunaike headed just wide from a corner. Lewes finished the half the stronger of the two sides when Bracken again getting down well to stop a Leon Redwood free-kick.

The Rooks were forced into making a change at half-time with Michael Dome-Bemwin suffering a flare up of his groin injury and was replaced by Ronnie Conlon. However, it was the home side that had the ball for long spells in the half, creating a number of chances that Nathan Stroomberg-Clarke was alert to. At the other end Billy Medlock twice blazed over the bar from the edge of the box when there were other options available.

With three-quarters of the game gone, Tony Halsey replaced Tony Mendy for his debut after signing from Horley Town in midweek. The chance gave the Rooks some new momentum and a smart move featuring Halsey and James Hammond before the ball was squared to Billy Medlock 8 yards out. He managed to control the ball but his shot, whilst forcing James Bracken into a save, lacked power and direction. Five minutes later Halsey flicked on a long ball and Billy was through on goal but his shot went over the bar.

Within thirty seconds the home side took the lead when Casuals were given time to move the ball down the Lewes right hand side to Checklit who cut inside unchecked and sent a shot from 18 yards across the goal and into the net, giving Nathan no chance.

A well-worked free-kick between Leon Redwood and James Hammond gave Lewis Taylor a sniff at goal but he miscued his shot when one-on-one with Bracken.

The home side played down the clock, keeping possession and defending well to hold out for the three points.

After the game, Co-Manager Tony Coade gave an honest assessment of the game when he spoke to Barry Collins.

The Rooks now face a massive game next Saturday against Cheshunt at The Dripping Pan, kick-off 3pm.

Corinthian-Casuals: Bracken, Spencer, Adelakun, Jamieson, Strange, Paratore, Bakare (Sadare-Morgan 85mins), Serbonij, Sitch (Pinney 68mins), Odunaike, Wilson (Checklit 68 mins)

Subs not used: Cotton, Byatt

Booked: Jamieson

Lewes: Stroomberg-Clarke, Day, Redwood, Dome-Bemwin (Conlon 46mins), Chappell, Freeman, Taylor, Hammond, Mendy (Halsey 67mins), Medlock, Reed (Golding 76mins)

Subs not used: Ilic, Diedrick-Roberts

Booked: Stroomberg-Clarke

Attendance: 278 (Approx 45 Rooks fans)