Rooks outfoxed – Lewes Community Football Club

Rooks outfoxed

Rooks outfoxed

Women's football news

Lewes 0-3 Leicester City

FA Women’s Championship

Sunday 13 October

It was frustrating afternoon for Jess King and the Lewes strikeforce

Lewes were left disappointed at the Dripping Pan, as Leicester City won all three points in a 3-0 win.

It took a while before the first chance of the game. On 12 minutes Ellie Noble played in a corner that just missed Caitlin Hayes, the follow up cross was then sent over everyone and for a goal kick.

Two minutes later Lewes had another corner. Again, Noble took it trying to find Hayes, but she couldn’t make decent contact with the ball. Leicester then tried to counter quickly, but it came to nothing.

On 22 minutes the visitors went close with a shot from Paige Bailey-Gayle, but her shot only found the side netting.

11 minutes later and Lewes had to defend bravely to prevent the Foxes taking the lead. Faye Baker was made to work as she pulled off three great saves to deny Leicester.

On the 36-minute mark, Baker was called into action again as she denied Annabel Blanchard from close range.

The best chance of the half came on 38 minutes for Lewes. Noble spotted Scarlett Field off her line and attempted a lobbed effort that nearly paid off as she hit the crossbar. The rebound then fell to Jess King, but she couldn’t turn it in.

Just before half-time Dani Lane was set free down the right wing and she fired a cross into the box, but Field prevented it from reaching King and Zoe Ness in the middle.

The second half started well for Lewes when King was sent through by substitute Emma Jones, but the keeper was quick off her line to deny the Number 10.

On 50 minutes Leicester got their first goal. Baker did well to stop an initial shot from Blanchard, but the rebound was scored by Hayley James. The visitors then doubled their lead on 63 minutes. Lachante Paul fired a shot goalward that deflected off the head of Hayes and over Baker into the net.

Eight minutes later Jones fired a free kick from a dangerous position that was well saved by the Foxes keeper.

Then on 83 minutes, the Foxes sealed all three points. Libby Smith cut through the Rooks defence and went around Baker to fire into an empty net and score Leicester’s third goal.

Lewes midfielder Amy Taylor said: “We’re very frustrated. As a team it’s been really positive the last couple of weeks. Obviously we haven’t got the results, but the result shouldn’t have gone our way today. The better team won. They worked harder than us both on and off the ball. We do need to look at ourselves and see what’s gone wrong today.”



Lewes Starting XI: Baker (C), Quayle (O’Rourke 65), Cleverly, Hayes, Taylor (Jones 46), Noble, Ness, King, Powell, Lane, Savva (Donovan 58)

Subs not used: Rowbotham, Howell

Yellow card: King 57

Leicester City Starting XI: Field, Johnson, Morgan, Cataldo, Blanchard, Paul, James (Dugmore 64), Bailey-Gayle (Smith 76), Brown (Thomas 85), Johnson, Popple

Subs not used: Lambourne, Everett, Jhamat

Yellow cards: Brown 57, Blanchard 90,

Attendance: 447