Rooks make it two from two – Lewes Community Football Club

Rooks make it two from two

Rooks make it two from two

Club news

Written by: Stuart

Lewes made it two away wins in four days, with an assured performance helping the Rooks to an ultimately comfortable 3-1 victory at Kingstonian, reports Tom Harper.

Tony Russell named an unchanged side following Saturday’s impressive 3-1 victory over Haringey Borough.
Lewes made a bright start and were in front after just eight minutes, Razz Coleman De-Graft beating two defenders down the right before crossing for Bradley Pritchard to finish from inside the six-yard box.
The Rooks were dominating possession and came close to doubling their lead minutes later through Joe Taylor, who shot straight at Rob Tolfrey from a difficult angle after more good work from De-Graft.
Lewes doubled their lead on 28 minutes, as Tom Champion rose highest to head a Jamie Mascoll corner from the left past Tolfrey with the help of a slight deflection.
The remainder of the half saw Lewes continue to see plenty of the ball, without calling Tolfrey into further meaningful action.
The closest they came to extending their lead further before the break saw a Mascoll free-kick hit Alfie Young at the far post before bouncing straight to Tolfrey.
Having struggled to create any chances of note during the first half, the hosts made a bright start to the second, with Lewis Carey forced into a fine save to keep out a long-range strike from Lee Lewis.
Kingstonian were enjoying arguably their best spell of the game, and saw O’Shane Stewart blast a presentable chance high over the bar as they looked to halve the deficit.
It then took a superb last-ditch challenge from Will Salmon to prevent Jacob Bancroft getting a shot away at the end of an incisive counter-attack, as Lewes found it difficult to control the game as they had done before the break.
The hosts pulled a goal back on 77 minutes to set up a tense finale, Bancroft sending a superb half-volley into the top corner from just inside the area after a free-kick from the right had only been partially cleared.
Kingstonian could have equalised almost immediately, Johnville Renee doing just enough at the far post to ensure Dwight Pascal could only guide his header wide.
Lewes managed the remainder of the game well, the introduction of Tyrique Hyde and Deon Moore late on giving the Rooks a bit more pace in the final third.
Moore thought he had secured all three points in the final minute of normal time, but was flagged offside after diverting a De-Graft cut-back into the roof of the net.
The Rooks did score a third goal to wrap up the win in injury-time, Moore getting in behind down the right and cutting the ball back for Hyde to send an exquisite finish past Tolfrey and into the bottom corner off the inside of the post, making it 3-1 and sending the impressive contingent of travelling fans who had braved the freezing temperatures home happy.
Highlights thanks to Your Instant Replay can be found here.
Lewes welcome Canvey Island to the Pan on Saturday, kick-off at 1pm.
Kingstonian: Tolfrey, Stewart, Pascal (Maragh 87), Strange, Abnett, Owen, Bonnett-Johnson, Lewis (Leon 74), Ntim, Bancroft, Ogunseye.
Unused Subs: Jones, Skura.
Booked: None.
Lewes: Carey, Renee, Mascoll, Salmon, Champion, Young, Olukoga, Pritchard (Hyde 83), De-Graft, Addy (Gondoh 60), Taylor (Moore 76).
Unused Subs: Skinner, Davies.
Booked: None.
Attendance: 231 (approx 50 Rooks fans)