Rooks hit seventh heaven against Horsham YMCA – Lewes Community Football Club

Rooks hit seventh heaven against Horsham YMCA

Rooks hit seventh heaven against Horsham YMCA

Men's football news

Four goals
from Jonte Smith and a professional team performance helped Lewes progress into
the third round of the Sussex Senior Cup with an emphatic victory over Horsham
YMCA at the Pan reports Tom Harper.

Freeman made three changes to the side that won 4-0 at East Grinstead in their
previous game, with Matt Hurley, Wilf Grimaud and Jonte Smith replacing Steve
Brinkhurst, Lloyd Cotton and Billy Medlock in the starting line-up.

started the game on the front foot and took the lead inside the first minute,
as Charlie Coppola cut inside from the right and sent a powerful curling effort
from the edge of the area past Aaron Jeal and in off the underside of the bar.

The Rooks
doubled their lead just three minutes later, with Jonte Smith latching onto a
Coppola through-ball and drawing Jeal off his line before unselfishly squaring
the ball for Wilf Grimaud to finish into the empty net.

After such a
fast start to the game, the Rooks were unable to test the Horsham YMCA back
four for long periods of the first half despite enjoying a lot of possession.

this, Jeal was still forced into two fine saves to prevent Coppola and Ronnie
Conlon extending Lewes’ lead as the half progressed.

The Rooks
were able to go further ahead seven minutes before half-time through Smith, who
converted a low Grimaud cross from close range at the end of an incisive

arguably should have doubled his tally soon after following a mis-placed pass
in the YM defence, but saw his close-range effort saved by Jeal.

hardworking striker was able to score his second of the game and put Lewes 4-0
up just before the break though, as he ran onto a perfectly-weighted Bouwe
Bosma through-ball and rounded Jeal before finishing into the empty net.

Lewes were
able to hand debuts to three youth-team players during the early stages of the
second half, with Ross Barclay, Dylan Gifford and Alfie Headland all being
introduced as substitutes and producing impressive displays as the half

The Rooks
were continuing to create opportunities during this period, with Barclay seeing
a close-range half-volley well saved by Jeal at the end of an excellent passing

The visitors
created their first chance of the game just after the hour, but saw Mark Cave
denied by the previously untroubled Chris Winterton.

The Rooks
extended their lead after 72 minutes, with Smith completing his hat-trick from
close range after a purposeful run down the right by Gifford.

Lewes could
have gone further ahead almost immediately, as Smith latched onto a lofted
through-ball but saw his close-range effort saved by the legs of Jeal.

The Rooks
were able to make it 6-0 minutes later through Smith though, with the striker
capping a fine performance with a powerful half-volley from almost on the
penalty spot after the visitor’s defence were unable to clear a Gus Sow corner.

completed the scoring in the final minute of the game, as Barclay converted a
low Gifford cross at the far post to cap off an impressive team performance.

Post match Barry Collins spoke to Ross Standen about the victory.

The Rooks
continue their cup excursions when they welcome Bishop’s Stortford to the Pan
in the FA Trophy second qualifying round on Saturday, kick-off at 3pm.

Lewes: Winterton, Bosma, George, Hammond
(Barclay 46), Chappell, Hurley (Headland 70), Grimaud, Sow, Smith, Conlon,
Coppola (Gifford 65).

Unused Subs: Cotton, Brinkhurst.

Booked: None.

Horsham YMCA: Jeal, Carden, Evans, Gilbert, Crane
(Hooper Ridsdale 46), Gedling, Cooke (Bennett 64), Harding, Schaaf, Cave,
Johnson (Frankland 83).

Unused Subs: Brown, Godfrey.

Booked: None.

Referee: Leigh Crowhurst

Attendance: 236