Rooks have Six-appeal at Margate – Lewes Community Football Club

Rooks have Six-appeal at Margate

Rooks have Six-appeal at Margate

Men's football news

Written by: Stuart

A scintillating second-half display saw Lewes come from behind to secure a superb 6-2 victory at Margate, reports Tom Harper.

Tony Russell made two changes to the side that lost 3-1 to Hornchurch in their previous game, with Kenneth Yao and Michael Klass replacing Kyron Richards and Ayo Olukoga in the starting line-up.

Margate started brightly and were ahead after only four minutes, as James Bessey-Saldanha crossed from the left for Daniel Thompson to finish from close range.

The Rooks responded well though, and equalised just four minutes later from the penalty spot, Joe Taylor sending Pat Ohman the wrong way with his spot-kick after Yao had been tripped in the area.

The game continued to be an end-to-end contest and the hosts regained their lead on 16 minutes through Sam Blackman, who was on hand to finish from close-range after Thompson saw his header from a Ben Greenhalgh free-kick come back off the post.

Lewes began to enjoy more possession as the half progressed, with Ohman denying Razzaq Coleman De-Graft twice in quick succession as the Rooks looked to equalise for a second time.

The Rooks came even closer to levelling the scores just before the break, but Matt Weaire’s diving header from an Ollie Tanner corner cleared off the line.

Lewes remained on the front foot at the start of the second half and equalised on 54 minutes, as De-Graft latched onto a long ball forward down the left before cutting the ball back for Taylor Maloney to finish.

Margate thought they had taken the lead for a third time minutes later, only for the linesman to flag Blackman offside as he headed a Greenhalgh free-kick past Lewis Carey.

The Rooks made the most of this by taking the lead themselves on 58 minutes, Maloney taking a touch and finishing past Ohman from just inside the area after good play down the left by Tom Carlse.

There were jubilant scenes among the Lewes fans behind the goal as the Rooks made it 4-2 on the hour, Tanner picking the ball up down the left and beating several players before unleashing an unstoppable shot into the roof of the net from a tight angle.

Lewes were dominating the game at this stage, and Ohman had to be alert to deny Tanner after he superbly controlled a hanging cross from Yao before getting a shot away.

Tanner looked a threat every time he had the ball and he doubled his tally to make it 5-2 after 72 minutes, superbly flicking a pass from Carey past a defender before driving into the area and finishing into the bottom corner.

Ohman was once again called into action to deny Tanner his hat-trick minutes later, saving well at his near post as the Rooks looked for more goals.

Lewes were able to score a sixth on 83 minutes, Maloney latching onto an Ayo Olukoga through-ball before finishing past Ohman to complete his hat-trick and spark more wild scenes behind the goal.

This was how the game finished, leaving the Rooks fans to make the long journey home from Kent with three points in the bag after an outstanding second-half display.

Lewes welcome Leatherhead to the Pan on Tuesday, kick-off at 7.45pm.

Margate: Ohman, Lamb (Richards 65), Anderson, Agyemang, Knight, Swift, Palmer, Blackman, Thompson (Embery 68), Greenhalgh (Bola 68), Bessey-Saldanha.
Unused Subs: Gurung, Godo.
Booked: Lamb, Embery.

Lewes: Carey, Yao, Carlse (Colombie 82), Weaire, Nelson, Pritchard (Olukoga 80), Maloney, Klass, De-Graft, Tanner (Allen 82), Taylor.
Unused Subs: D’Arienzo, Parker.
Booked: None.

Attendance: 611 (approximately 50 Rooks fans)