Rooks fell Sevenoaks to progress in the FA Trophy – Lewes Community Football Club

Rooks fell Sevenoaks to progress in the FA Trophy

Rooks fell Sevenoaks to progress in the FA Trophy

Club news

Written by: Stuart

A second-half goal from Deon Moore helped Lewes progress to the first round of the FA Trophy with a 1-0 win over Sevenoaks Town, reports Tom Harper.

Tony Russell handed a debut to new signing Jamie Mascoll at left-back, with fellow addition Johnville Renee named on the bench. There was also a first start in just over a month for captain Tom Champion on his return from injury.
Sevenoaks could have taken the lead inside the first minute through Daniel Hector, who forced a smart save from Lewis Carey with a powerful strike from the edge of the area.
There were few chances of note throughout the remainder of the first half, with both sides passing the ball well but finding it difficult to get in behind the opposing defence.
Despite this, Tyler McCarthy in the visitor’s goal was called into action midway through the half to deny Ronan Silva after Razz Coleman De-Graft had won the ball back high up the pitch.
The visitors were coming into the game off the back of a superb FA Cup win at National League South side Bath City last weekend and a victory in the Velocity Trophy in the week, so were understandably playing with plenty of confidence, and saw Hector’s half-volley well saved by Carey in the final meaningful action of the first half.
Lewes made a bright start to the second half, with substitute Jack Skinner forcing McCarthy into action after Marcel Elva-Fountaine had won the ball on the edge of the Sevenoaks penalty area.
The Rooks were continuing to look dangerous going forwards approaching the hour, McCarthy saving bravely at the feet of De-Graft after a Mascoll cross from the left had picked him out at the far post, before Joe Taylor was just beaten to the loose ball in front of goal.
Lewes took the lead their second-half pressure had been threatening on 62 minutes through Deon Moore, who picked up a loose ball 25 yards from goal before driving past two defenders and finishing emphatically past McCarthy and into the bottom corner.
Sevenoaks responded well to falling behind though, and saw Yahaya Bamba send a dipping shot from the edge of the area just over the bar after a loose pass in the Lewes defence.
Lewes controlled long periods of the remainder of the game relatively comfortably and arguably should have doubled their lead late on, with De-Graft making space for himself in the area before seeing McCarthy keep out his low strike with his feet.
The visitors threw plenty of players forward late on in their search for an equaliser but were unable to seriously test Carey, with a comfortable save from a Matt Weaire diving header being the closest they came to forcing a penalty shoot-out.
Today’s Match Progcast can be viewed here.
Highlights of the game from Your Instant Replay can be seen here.
Lewes will hope to build on this result when they return to league action on Tuesday with a trip to Herne Bay, kick-off at 7.45pm.
Lewes: Carey, Elva-Fontaine, Champion, Salmon, Mascoll (Renee 89), Young, Olukoga, Silva (Skinner 56), De-Graft, Moore, Taylor.
Unused Subs: Nelson, Jenkins, Pritchard, Murrell-Williamson, Middleton-Tozer.
Booked: Elva-Fountaine, Skinner.
Sevenoaks Town: McCarthy, Olorunnisomo, Miller-Neave (Johnson 60), Mensah, Weaire, Beaden, De Silva (Graham 60), Hector (Hibbert 77), Parker, Gondoh, Bamba.
Unused Subs: Holder, Ndozid, Wilson, Rose.
Booked: Miller-Neave.
Attendance: 550