Rooks exit the Sussex Senior Cup at Pagham – Lewes Community Football Club

Rooks exit the Sussex Senior Cup at Pagham

Rooks exit the Sussex Senior Cup at Pagham

Men's football news

disappointing display saw Lewes knocked out of the Sussex Senior Cup by
Southern Combination league side Pagham, who scored deep into stoppage time to
secure a deserved 1-0 victory at Nyetimber Lane reports Tom Harper.

Freeman made several changes to the side that had drawn at Greenwich Borough in
their previous game, giving minutes to a number of players that have been
mainly used from the bench in recent weeks and also handing a first start to
recent arrival Okuwute Izuchukwu.

The hosts
came into the game on an impressive run of form and made a bright start, with
Bouwe Bosma forced into a superb last-ditch challenge to prevent Callum Overton
getting a shot away from close range with only Chris Winterton to beat.

A slow start
to the game for Lewes was made worse after around 20 minutes, as Bosma was
forced off with an injury. He was replaced by youth-team midfielder Ross
Barclay, who impressed on his senior debut against Horsham YMCA in the previous

Pagham continued
to create the more clear-cut chances, and saw Winterton make a fine save to
keep out a long-range half-volley from James Thurgar.

The Rooks
gradually grew into the game as the half progressed, with Jamie Brotherton and
Izuchukwu both narrowly missing the target with efforts from the edge of the

this, the hosts finished the half strongly, with Thurgar forcing another
excellent save from Winterton with a close-range volley after a Daniel Simmonds
free-kick deflected off the wall and hit the post.

thought they had taken the lead just before the break, only to see the referee
rule out a close-range header from an in-swinging corner for a push in the
crowded penalty area.

Lewes made a
slow start to the second half and had Winterton to thank for keeping them on
level terms minutes after the restart, as the goalkeeper made another good save
to deny Overton.

The Rooks
forced home goalkeeper James Binfield into his first meaningful action of the
game minutes later, as he had to be alert to hold onto a close-range
half-volley from Barclay after good build-up play down the right.

introduced academy defender Harrison Parker at left-back in place of Wilf
Grimaud just before the hour mark, and he produced an assured display as the
game progressed.

dominating the game, Lewes started to see more of the ball, with Ronnie Conlon
latching onto a perfectly-weighted through-ball from Jonte Smith only to be
denied by Binfield.

continued to look dangerous every time they went forward though, and saw
Simmonds just miss the target from close range after running onto a long ball
forward from Shan Wiggins.

The Rooks
nearly made the most of this let-off within minutes, as the impressive Harry
Reed had a strike deflected just wide after an impressive run inside from the

extra-time looming, Pagham were handed a final chance to score deep into
stoppage time as the referee controversially over-ruled his linesman to award a

in-swinging set-piece from the right found Ryan Davidson virtually unmarked at
the far post, and he sent a powerful header past Winterton and into the bottom
corner to seal the win for the hosts with the last meaningful action of the

Understandably, Darren was not too happy after the result when he spoke to Barry Collins post-match.

Lewes will
hope to put this result behind them when they return to league action against
Ashford United at the Pan on Saturday, kick-off at 3pm.

Pagham: Binfield, Wiggins, Wollers, Booker,
Davidson, Horncastle, Van Driel, Chick, Simmonds, Thurgar, Overton.

Subs: Bingham, Cox, Kilhams, Crouch,

Booked: None.

Lewes: Winterton, Reed, Bosma (Barclay 21),
Izuchukwu, Hurley, Cotton, Grimaud (Parker 58), Landais, Smith, Conlon,
Brotherton (Coppola 78).

Unused Subs: Chappell, Gifford.

Booked: Grimaud.