Rooks create history with first win on foreign soil – Lewes Community Football Club

Rooks create history with first win on foreign soil

Rooks create history with first win on foreign soil

Men's football news

Written by: Jack

Tony Russell’s side took a huge leap to knockout qualification in the Fenix Trophy with a 3-1 win over KSK Beveren in Belgium. 

Goals from Luke Dreher, Kalvin Lumbombo-Kalala and Arthur Penney ensured the Rooks cemented their place at the top of Group D.

With two games to spare, a win over Beveren in the return leg here at the Pan would be enough to secure our place in the semi-finals.

Lewes started strong, firmly on the front foot, in torrid conditions as the rain poured down in Beveren, and almost took the lead 11 minutes in when Deon Moore’s superb reverse pass played in Tommy Wood but his effort was struck wide.

Just five minutes later though we found the opener when Ayo Olukoga went on a brilliant mazy run, playing in Luke Dreher who slotted home.

And we wasted no time in doubling the lead when Kalala drove past what felt like half the Beveren team before striking home beautifully just inside the area.

The Rooks were backed by more than 100 travelling supporters that now had even more to sing about as the rain continued to come down on them in a venue that absolutely no cover.

KLK and Moore were causing the Belgians all sorts of problems on the wings and the latter came close to opening his account in the competition but his curling effort from the edge of the box was stopped.

Into the second-half and it felt like it would be cruise control from there but the Leeuwen were not prepared to go down without a fight and came out firing at all cylinders.

Nathan Harvey was forced into a save early doors but that was followed by Moore up the other end coming close again himself.

It started to look very similar to the Oslo game with big challenges flying in; Archie Tamplin was once again involved when he was clattered on the halfway line.

KSK then found a goal back on the 73rd minute with Harvey at full stretch.

It looks like it was going to be a nervy remaining 20 minutes in the game but following a superb Tamplin free-kick delivery, Penney rose highest to power a header in off the crossbar. The celebrations that followed looked like relief.

KSK pushed us all the way in the second half but in the end a deserved victory for Lewes who move one step closer to qualification.

Lewes: Harvey, Olukoga, Salmon (C), Elliott, Oguntayo, Penney, Dreher, Tamplin, Lumbombo-Kalala, Moore, Wood.
Subs: Hall, Vint, Pritchard, Whelpdale, Murtagh.