Rooks crash out of the FA Cup at Thamesmead Town – Lewes Community Football Club

Rooks crash out of the FA Cup at Thamesmead Town

Rooks crash out of the FA Cup at Thamesmead Town

Men's football news

disappointing performance saw Lewes knocked out of the FA Cup by an effective
Thamesmead Town side, who never looked back after scoring twice in the first 17
minutes reports Tom Harper.

Freeman made one change to the side that had beaten Hastings in their previous
game, with Frankie Chappell replacing Matt Hurley to make his first appearance
for the Rooks. There was also a place on the bench for Charlie Coppola, who
returned to the club during the week.

The Rooks
got off to the worst possible start, falling behind in the second minute, as
Paul Vines was left unmarked at the far post to head home a Bode Anidugbe cross
from the right.

Lewes were
struggling to get into the game against a physical Thamesmead side, who were
looking comfortable at the back and causing the Rooks plenty of problems with
their direct approach.

It was
therefore no surprise when they doubled their lead after 17 minutes. Vines was
the scorer, converting a penalty after Steve Brinkhurst fouled Ellis Green in
the area.

Lewes forced
home goalkeeper Lewis Carey into his first action of the game with just under
25 minutes on the clock, as Bouwe Bosma saw his header from a Jamie Brotherton
free-kick well saved.

The hosts
continued to look dangerous every time they went forward though, with Winterton
making a smart save to keep out a Tom O’Connor effort from a tight angle,
before Alex Teniola missed the target with a close-range effort minutes later.

The Rooks
had the final chance of the first half, but saw Lloyd Cotton have a goal-bound
effort blocked by Joe Denny after Chappell had headed a free-kick back across

introduction of Coppola at half-time briefly looked like sparking a comeback
from the Rooks, but Thamesmead ensured this wouldn’t be the case with some
solid defending and by breaking the play up wherever possible.

They also
always posed a threat in the final third, with Green drawing a fine save from
Winterton with a long-range effort, and Teniola somehow missing the target
after a Harvey Brand cross had picked him out in front of goal.

arguably should have been handed a route back into the game midway through the
second half, as substitute George Landais hit the bar with a curling effort,
before seeing another strike blocked by the arm of Leon Smith. Despite the
protests of the players and the Rooks fans behind the goal, the referee only
awarded a corner instead of a penalty.

The hosts
made the most of this by scoring a third goal and securing a well-deserved win
after 76 minutes, as substitute Tashi-Jay Kwayie sent a superb finish across
Winterton and into the far corner after an impressive run from left to right
along the edge of the area just three minutes after coming on.

Lewes were
unable to create a chance of note in the closing stages, and were left to rue a
poor start to the game that left them with too big a mountain to climb against
an impressive Thamesmead side.

The Rooks
will hope to put this result behind them when they return to league action
against Hythe Town at the Pan on Saturday, kick-off at 3pm.

Thamesmead Town: Carey, Brand, McIntyre, Kinch, Smith,
Denny, Anigdube (Mendy 73), O’Connor, Vines (Flack 89), Teniola (Kwayie 73),

Unused Subs: Luchford, Glover, Ovenden.

Booked: McIntyre, Smith.

Lewes: Winterton, Brinkhurst, George, Malins
(Robinson 73), Chappell, Cotton, MacDevitt (Coppola 46), Bousma, Smith,
Brotherton, Conlon (Landais 65).

Unused Subs: Williams-Bowers, Reed, Hurley,

Booked: Chappell, MacDevitt

Attendance: 104