Rooks battle hard to win through to FA Cup 5th Round – Lewes Community Football Club

Rooks battle hard to win through to FA Cup 5th Round

Rooks battle hard to win through to FA Cup 5th Round

Women's football news

Lewes 1-1 Billericay Town
Lewes win 5-4 on penalties
Women’s FA Cup 4th Round
26th January, 2020

Lewes are through to the next round of the FA Cup after beating Billericay Town on penalties after the game finished 1-1 after 120 minutes.

It was a good start from the visitors who won an early free kick and corner, but fortunately for the Rooks both came to nothing.

The first chance for the home side came on the seventh minute when Katie Rood was sent through on goal, but she could only fire a tame effort at the goalkeeper.

Billericay created half chances throughout the first 15 minutes, but Faye Baker was looking safe and in control each time.

On 16 minutes Rood broke well again and attempted to square the ball to Jess King, but the defender did well to stop it reaching the number 10 and what would have been a goal-scoring opportunity.

Three minutes later and Emily Donovan was breaking into the Billericay box and she went down under pressure, but the referee said play on.

Billericay almost scored the opener a minute later when a good free kick was played in. The ball was cleared but fell kindly to Zoe Rushen who blazed it over the bar.

Lewes’ next chance came on 24 minutes when Dani Lane raced into the area and won a corner. The corner was played to the back post where King was waiting unmarked, but she knocked it just wide.

The final chance came five minutes before the half-time whistle when Emma Jones looked to get a shot away, but the defence were able to block and clear.

Lewes came out much improved in the second half and, three minutes in, Jones played King through on goal, but her effort went just wide.

A great solo run from Rood on 56 minutes, which saw her beat four defenders, almost opened the scoring but her shot went wide of the post.

On the hour mark there were appeals for a penalty when Annie Timoney went down after a challenge from the goalkeeper, but the referee again said play on.

The first goal did eventually come six minutes later. New signing Paula Howells came off the bench and fired a great shot from the edge of the area past the goalkeeper and into the net.

However, eleven minutes later, the visitors brought the game level. Poor defending from the Rooks allowed Therese Addison to get in on goal and fire past Baker taking the game to extra time.

Chances were few in extra time. Rood tried a curling effort that was straight at the goalkeeper. While Addison went close for Billericay on 99 minutes, but her shot went just over the bar.

Penalties were to decide the game and new signings Ellie Leek and Howells made no mistake from the spot. Rushen stepped up for Billericay and hit the post which was the only miss of the shootout as King, Rood and Rhian Cleverly all scored their penalties sending Lewes through to the next round.

The draw for the 5th Round takes place at 6:40pm on Monday 27th January, live on the BBC News Channel and website. Watch out for ball no. 3

Lewes Starting XI: Baker (C); Quayle, Cleverly, Jones (Howells 59), Noble (Rowbotham 116), King, Donovan (Leek 90+4), Lane (Savva 99), O’Rourke, Rood, Timoney

Sub not used: Harris

Goal: Howells 66

Yellow card: Lane 98

Billericay Town Starting XI: Baker (Mullet 91); Addison, Lumley, Duchar Clark, Stimson, Smith (Moody 66), Jones (Fuller 76), Blackie, Morgan (C), Rushen, Rodney (Smith 64)

Subs not used: Anderson, Lancaster, Dunning

Goal: Addison 77

Attendance: 492