Plain sailing for the Rooks as they beat Corinthian-Casuals 2-0 – Lewes Community Football Club

Plain sailing for the Rooks as they beat Corinthian-Casuals 2-0

Plain sailing for the Rooks as they beat Corinthian-Casuals 2-0

Club news

Written by: Stuart

Lewes won their fifth game in their last six outings against a dogged Corinthian Casuals side (photos James Boyes)

After some torrential rain overnight, the pitch was superbly prepared by the staff and volunteers, providing a perfect surface for the Rooks looking for their fifth win in the last six league games.  Boss Tony Russell made just one change from the side that won so impressively at Bishop’s Stortford last Saturday, with new loan signing Ryley Scott coming in for Bradley Pritchard, who dropped to the bench.

After some good probing play down both flanks the Rooks took the lead in the 9th minute due to a calamitous error from our visitors.  Keeper Callum Coulter took a short goal-kick to Sergio Uyi who was disposed by Deon Moore just eight yards out and he squared to Joe Taylor who slotted home almost unchallenged.

Despite all of their domination in possession it took another twenty minutes to create another good chance, although this one was wind assisted when a Jamie Mascoll corner was cleared off the line by Simbarashe Kudyiwa.

One bizarre moment came just towards the end of the half when, as he cleared the ball under pressure on the edge of his penalty box, Lewis Carey was hit by a toy plane which appeared to have come from outside the ground.  The referee stopped play and snapped the toy in half whilst a PA request for the owner to come and collect the pieces went unanswered.

The Rooks went into the break leading by one goal but not firing on all cylinders.

The energy and momentum from last Saturday returned in the second half as the Rooks looked to put the game to bed.  The second goal came from a fortuitous penalty decision when Tyrique Hyde was adjudged to have been fouled in the area from what appeared to most watching (and playing) as a legitimate challenge.  Never one to turn down a chance to score, Joe Taylor stepped up and scored his 22nd goal of the season.

Lewes continued to press forward and created some half chances, including a Ryan Gondoh shot from the edge of the box and an effort from Tyrique Hyde, both missing the target, the latter from a superb run by Deon Moore.

The visitors had their best chance in the 70th minute when Tom Jackson’s effort forced Lewis Carey into his first save of the game, but from the resulting break, Lewes forced a corner where Tom Champion’s header from a Mascoll corner was tipped onto the underside of the bar by Coulter.  Back at the other end Jackson again caused some concern for the Rooks when his powerful strike hit the inside of the post but rebounded to safety.

Lewes took the sting out of the game and whilst they could have scored a couple more, it was another three points, a clean sheet and another step towards the play-offs.

Next up is the visit of 4th placed Canvey Island,  conquerors of top of the table Hornchurch, on Tuesday night, kick off 7:45pm.

You can read today Progcast here.

You can watch the highlights, thanks to Your Instant Replay, here.

Lewes: Carey, Olukoga, Mascoll, Salmon, Champion, Young, Hyde, Scott (Pritchard 75 mins), Moore, Gondoh (Addy 85mins), Taylor

Subs not used: Tamplin

Booked: Scott

Corinthian-Casuals: Coulter, Kudyiwa, Halsey, Jackson, Uyi, Hyman, Dowdridge (Chislett 72 mins), Lovett, Ayoola, Stokoe (Pinney 79mins), Donkor (McDonald 88mins)

Subs not used: Libikas, Masikini

Booked: Lovett

Attendance: 660