New Year’s Delight for Russell’s Rooks – Lewes Community Football Club

New Year’s Delight for Russell’s Rooks

New Year’s Delight for Russell’s Rooks

Men's football news

Written by: Jack

Lewes started 2024 by continuing their recent impressive run of form, a late Jake Elliott header helping the Rooks to a 1-0 derby win over Bognor at the Pan.

Tony Russell made three changes to the side that drew 1-1 at Hornchurch in their previous game, with Archie Tamplin, Will Salmon and Kalvin Lumbombo-Kalala replacing Ayo Olukoga, Ronnie Vint and Ola Ogunwamide in the starting line-up.

The visitors started brightly and came close to taking an early lead, only for Dan Smith to fire a Joe Rabbetts cross over the bar from close range.
The better chances continued to fall to Bognor and Smith as the half progressed, with Nathan Harvey forced into a smart save to turn an effort from the striker round the post after he had been teed up by Calvin Davies at the end of an incisive counter-attack.
Lewes gradually began to enjoy more possession towards the end of the half and saw Lumbombo-Kalala shoot straight at Ryan Hall from the edge of the area with their first attempt on target.
Salmon went close for the Rooks minutes later, heading a half-cleared Chris Whelpdale corner onto the roof of the net.
The final chance of the half fell to Bognor though, with Lucas Pattenden seeing his strike cannon back off the bar after a corner had been cleared in his direction.
Pattenden hit the woodwork again in slightly more unorthodox circumstances early in the second half, as he saw his mis-hit cross from the right beat Harvey and hit the bar before bouncing clear.
The visitors continued to look the more likely scorers, Ben Anderson’s deflected strike looping just over the bar.
Lewes had done well to stay in the game and made the most of this by taking the lead on 75 minutes through Elliott, who got on the end of a superb Ogunwamide free-kick from the right to head past Hall from close range and spark jubilant celebrations behind the goal.
The closing stages unsurprisingly proved nervy for the Rooks, as Bognor saw plenty of the ball but were unable to seriously test Harvey again as they searched for an equaliser.
If anything, Lewes came closer to scoring a second goal, as Lumbombo-Kalala capitalised on hestiant goalkeeping by Hall to get on the end of an Elliott clearance before seeing his attempt cleared off the line by Spencer Spurway.
Lewes negotiated five minutes of stoppage time comfortably to record a third win in four games and continue their climb up the table.
Next up for the Rooks is a trip to Cray Wanderers on Saturday, kick-off at 3pm.
Lewes: Harvey, Tamplin, Salmon, Elliott, Oguntayo, Penney, Dreher (Pritchard 42), Whelpdale (Olukoga 76), Moore (Ogunwamide 53), Lumbombo-Kalala, Wood.
Unused Subs: Vint, Murtagh.
Booked: Harvey, Elliott, Tamplin, Penney.
Bognor Regis Town: Hall, Whyte, Rabbetts, Davies (Bridgman 80), Spurway, Robson, Pattenden, Anderson, Smith (Higgs 72), Gifford (Olaniyan 84), Mather.
Unused Subs: Howick, Briffa.
Booked: Davies.
Attendance: 1,474