Medlock double sees off spirited VCD – Lewes Community Football Club

Medlock double sees off spirited VCD

Medlock double sees off spirited VCD

Men's football news

second-half goals from Billy Medlock helped Lewes complete an impressive
comeback to record their first ever win over VCD Athletic and remain top of the
early-season Bostik South table reports Tom Harper.

Freeman made two changes to the side that had won 4-2 at East Grinstead in the
FA Trophy in their previous game, with Gus Sow and Bouwe Bosma replacing Lloyd
Cotton and Harry Reed in the starting line-up.

The Rooks
had enjoyed very little success during their previous meetings with VCD,
failing to win any of the four games between the sides before this one, and
made a slow start against an energetic home side.

Only the
reactions of Chris Winterton kept Lewes in the game early on, as he denied the
impressive Rashid Kamara twice in quick succession, before making another smart
save to keep out an Omar Lawson effort after the midfielder had been unable to
carry the ball to the edge of the penalty area unchallenged.

Lewes were
finding it difficult to keep the ball, but still saw Billy Medlock force Joe
Mant in the host’s goal into a fine save with a curling strike from just
outside the area

this, VCD continued to press and it was no surprise when they deservedly took
the lead after 37 minutes. Lawson was the scorer, sending a curling effort from
the edge of the area past Winterton and in off the inside of the post after
good work down the left by Ellis Brown.

The Rooks
saw out the remainder of the first half without falling further behind, and
will have been grateful to hear the half-time whistle after an impressive
display from the hosts.

started the second half on the front foot and could have equalised within
minutes of the restart, as Ronnie Conlon turned past Aaron Sekhon in the area
before missing the target with only Mant to beat.

introduced Jamie Brotherton and Jonte Smith from the bench just before the
hour, and the Rooks immediately looked more dangerous in the final third.

continued to pose a threat going forward though, and saw Winterton keep out a
close-range effort from Kemo Darboe at the end of a swift counter-attack that
had started with the hosts defending a Lewes corner.

Lewes were
seeing more of the ball than they had done at any point in the game, and
equalised in spectacular fashion after 69 minutes through Medlock, who sent a
superb half-volley from the edge of the area past Mant and into the bottom
corner after Smith had chested a Brotherton cross from the right into his path.

The Rooks
nearly took the lead minutes later, as a brilliantly-struck Medlock free-kick
hit the post and Gus Sow saw his effort on the rebound well saved by Mant.

weren’t to be denied for long though, as Medlock exchanged passes with Smith
just inside the area and sent a powerful finish past Mant and just inside the
near post to give the Rooks the lead with ten minutes remaining and start
jubilant celebrations from the travelling fans behind the goal.

There were
no chances of note for either side during the closing stages, and Lewes were
able to celebrate a hard-fought three points that had seemed unlikely at
half-time at the final whistle.

Darren told it like it was in his pre-match interview with Barry Collins. Relive the excitement with the excellent pictures from James Boyes here.

Lewes will
hope to build on this result when they host Corinthian Casuals at the Pan on
Wednesday, kick-off at 7.45pm.

VCD Athletic: Mant, K. Duncan (El-Moyhalbel 87),
Joseph, Gordon, Imudia, Sekhon, Lawson, Kamara (Baker 82), Darboe, Awotwi,

Unused Subs: Gorbell, D. Duncan, Camara.

Booked: Kamara.

Lewes: Winterton, Brinkhurst, George,
Hammond, Chappell, Malins, Bosma (Smith 58), Sow, Medlock, Coppola (Brotherton
58), Conlon (Grimaud 87).

Unused Subs: Reed, Hurley.

Booked: George.

Referee: Ollie Butcher

Attendance: 125