MATCH REPORT: Rooks left red-faced by late Robins show – Lewes Community Football Club

MATCH REPORT: Rooks left red-faced by late Robins show

MATCH REPORT: Rooks left red-faced by late Robins show

Club news

The Rooks returned empty handed from Carshalton Athletic for the third season in a row after two goals in three minutes for the Robins saw them claim all three points, reports Stuart Fuller.

Manager Darren Freeman names his two new signings in the squad with Mohammed Diallo slotting straight in at right-back, whilst George Tyson-Firth took his place on the bench. Charlie Coppola, back for a spell from University also returned to the starting XI, with Kieran Pamment dropping down to the bench.

The visitors made the better start to the game, looking to get their wide men behind the Lewes full-backs although the first chance of the game on the 15th minute mark was more direct – a shot from Player/Manager Peter Adonai from 25 yards that Lewis Carey could only parry into the path of Harry Ottoway but he put the rebound wide.

At the other end Charlie Coppola’s superb dipping volley from the edge of the box had the Carshalton keeper beaten but flew just over the bar.

The final minute of the half saw both teams almost score. The Rooks move of the half saw James Hammond’s ball slice through the defence for Dayshonne Golding to run onto. He pulled the ball back for Omarr Lawson but his goal-bound shot was blocked by a defender with the keeper beaten. Thirty seconds later Jacob Mendy turned Frankie Chappell inside out but his shot was well held by Lewis Carey at his near post.

The second period started calmly with the only notable early action seeing new signing Diallo go into the referee’s notebook. Five minutes later the Rooks were ahead as Coppola’s free-kick from the right-hand side was knocked down by Ben Pope and Stacey Freeman volleyed the ball home.

The Rooks looked comfortable with the lead and controlled the midfield. Darren Freeman made a couple of changes, swapping Golding for Pamment and Pope for Overton as he looked for a vital second goal.

The hosts started to come back into the match as Adeniyi teed up Korboa just inside the box but he shot over the bar. A James Hammond free-kick hit just wide was the Rooks last meaningful chance as they were undone by two goals in just under three minutes.

First Harry Ottaway flicked on a goal kick to Koroma and he set up Korboa, who took the ball in his stride before smashing them ball home from just inside the area and then Korboa again was the scorer, playing a one-two with Ottaway before slotting home from close range.

A final Lewes corner in injury time was headed over by Henri Wilder and that was it – a disappointing sixth consecutive defeat to Carshalton Athletic in a game with 15 minutes to play was The Rooks to win.

Highlights of the game can be viewed here whilst James Boyes’ excellent photos can be seen here.

There were certainly some positives in the performance, a fact that Darren Freeman underlined when he spoke post-match to Barry Collins.

The Rooks return to The Dripping Pan on Wednesday to host Tonbridge Angels in the re-scheduled Bostik Premier League game, kick-off 7:45pm.

Carshalton Athletic: Othman, Price, Pappoe, Mendy, Morath-Gibbs, Adeniyi, Sogbanmu (Dudley 70mins), Bradford, Pattison (Koroma 74 mins), Korboa, Ottaway

Subs not used: Bishop, Read, Cheadle

Booked: Sogbanmu

Lewes: Carey, Diallo, Wilder, Hammond (Tuson-Firth 85 mins), Chappell, Freeman, Golding (Pamment 62 mins), Dome-Bemwin, Pope (Overton – 76 mins), Coppola, Lawson

Subs not used: Blewden, Day

Booked: Diallo

Attendance: 427 (46 Rooks)