MATCH REPORT: Rooks leave it late to grab a point at Burgess Hill Town – Lewes Community Football Club

MATCH REPORT: Rooks leave it late to grab a point at Burgess Hill Town

MATCH REPORT: Rooks leave it late to grab a point at Burgess Hill Town

Men's football news

A late debut goal for the Rooks by Ola Adeyemo saw the Rooks grab a point at The Green Elephant Stadium and in the process almost certainly relegate our Sussex rivals, reports Stuart Fuller.

Manager Darren Freeman was able to recall Frankie Chappell from illness which kept him out of Saturday’s defeat to Bishop’s Stortford, whilst Michael Dome-Bemwin was available after missing Saturday’s game. Chappell replaced the injured Stacey Freeman whilst Dayshonne Golding dropped to the bench.

It was understandably a cagey opening, with the host needing to win to be sure that they could take their survival fight to the last day of the season, whilst the Rooks knew that even with a win it would be highly unlikely that they could still take their play-off aspirations any further.

It took until the 30th minute for the Rooks to have their first real chance, and the first effort that tested either keeper, when James did well to get his hands to a James Hammond strike. A few minutes later at the other end of the pitch Joe Felix should have done better when he got a sight of Lewis Carey’s goal but fired wide.

The last action of the first half saw the dangerous Dan Beck break free on the right-hand side and fire the ball across the six yard box but there was no green shirt to turn it in.

The home side certainly started the second half with a win on their minds and would have had the lead in the 50th minute if it wasn’t for a clearance off the line by Tom Day. The Rooks went up the other end and half of the travelling support thought former Hillian Kieron Pamment had given us the lead but his shot hit the side netting.

The Hillians thought they had scored in the 72nd minute when Smith-Joseph headed home from a corner but the referee had already blown for an infringement on Lewis Carey. However, they had their lead in similar circumstances a few minutes later when Dan Beck headed home a Smith cross.

That goal would have seen the home side head to North London on Saturday for an all or nothing show down with Wingate & Finchley but with just two minute remaining a well worked, training ground move saw Hammond’s free-kick nodded home by Adeyemo.

After the game boss Darren Freeman spoke to Barry Collins about the game.

More pictures from the game can be seen here thanks to James Boyes.

Highlights from the game from our good friends at Your Instant Replay can be viewed here.

The Rooks will aim to end the season on a high when they host AFC Hornchurch at The Pan on Saturday, kick off 3pm.

Burgess Hill Town: James, Kipeye-Bonno (Bennett – 59 mins), Cadman, Wilson, Toure, Jonah, Felix, Harding, Murdoch (Ryder – 65 mins), Beck, Smith-Jospeh

Subs not used: Tuck, Figuero Correia, Malleret

Bookings: None

Lewes FC: Carey, Pamment (Blewden – 85 mins), Banya, Reed, Chappell, Day, Coppola, Hammond, Pope (Adeyemo – 58 mins), Lawson (Golding – 73 mins), Dome-Bemwin

Subs not used: Overton, Barclay

Bookings: None

Attendance: 798 (Rooks – about 150)