MATCH REPORT: (Pre-season Friendly) Lewes 1-2 Watford – Lewes Community Football Club

MATCH REPORT: (Pre-season Friendly) Lewes 1-2 Watford

MATCH REPORT: (Pre-season Friendly) Lewes 1-2 Watford

Women's football news

Lewes’ latest pre-season game was another useful run-out for the new look squad. The match ended in defeat, as they lost 2-1 to Watford on Sunday at The Dripping Pan. Marcus Lee reports on the game.

Lewes started the game strongly. Rood looked to cause problems down the left wing and her first chance came on two minutes, but her shot was straight at the Watford goalkeeper. Six minutes later, Amy Taylor was through one on one. However, she was unable to take her chance as the goalkeeper’s feet saved Watford from conceding. On 15 minutes, Rood had another attempt at goal. This time she cut in on to her right foot and curled an effort that skimmed over the top of the bar.

The opener eventually came for the Rooks on 22 minutes. It was Rood again who had the ball and this time she made a driving run through the centre of the pitch and launched a shot over the goalkeeper and into the back of the net.

Watford had their first chance minutes later. A free kick was crossed into the box, and evaded Baker but the ball went out for a goal kick.

Emily Donovan came on from the bench and had her first attempt at goal, but it was a good save by the Hornets goalkeeper to push it out for a corner. The resulting corner came to nothing however and that proved to be Lewes’ final chance of a dominant half.

Manager Fran Alonso was happy with the first half performance and scoreline and started the second half with a number of substitutions. Changes in midfield and defence enabled Watford to come more into the game and just two minutes into the second half Watford almost brought the game level when the ball was squared across goal, but Ward couldn’t quite reach it.

On 55 minutes Ward had another chance to score, but this time she hit the crossbar after getting through the Lewes defence. Five minutes later, Rood had another long-range effort at goal, but this time she could only fire over. The Hornets got their equaliser on 77 minutes when a great defence splitting ball found Bell and she went around Baker to score into an empty net. And just five minutes later Watford took the lead. Ward was able to go through one on one with Baker and she fired under the goalkeeper to give the away side the lead.

A goalmouth scramble almost got Lewes a late equaliser, but were denied by the goalkeeper who was quick to collect the ball.

Despite the final scoreline, this was a good opportunity for the Lewes squad to get some more minutes in their legs.

The final home Friendly of the season is this Sunday 4 August, when the Rooks take on Oxford United at 2pm on the Rookery 3G all-weather pitch. Entry price is ‘pay-what-you-want.