Match Report Lewes 2 FC United of Manchester 1 – Lewes Community Football Club

Match Report Lewes 2 FC United of Manchester 1

Match Report Lewes 2 FC United of Manchester 1

Men's football news

First-half goals from Jordy Mongoy and Ola Adeyemo helped Lewes start pre-season with a win, as they secured a 2-1 victory over FC United of Manchester on a sweltering afternoon at the Pan.

Darren Freeman named new signings Bradley Wilson and Jordy Mongoy in the starting line-up alongside several members of last season’s squad, with the bench containing a number of young players and trialists.

The Rooks started the game brightly and were unfortunate not to take an early lead through Leon Redwood, whose effort from the edge of the area hit the side-netting after impressive build-up play.

Lewes took the lead after 15 minutes, as Jordy Mongoy latched onto a misplaced pass at the back, went past a defender and then found the bottom corner from just outside the area.

The Rooks were seeing plenty of the ball and came close to doubling their lead twice in quick succession, with Dayshonne Golding being denied by Paddy Wharton in the FC United goal, before Mongoy headed just wide from a Bradley Wilson corner minutes later.

Lewes doubled their lead on the half-hour mark through Ola Adeyemo, who had time to bring down a Redwood cross from the left before finding the bottom corner from close range.

It could easily have been 3-0 just before the break, as Wharton was forced into another smart save to deny the impressive Mongoy.

Both sides made wholesale changes at the break, and the visitors began to take control of the game without forcing Billy Collings into any meaningful action during the early stages of the second half. 

Roared on by their impressive travelling support, FC United started to pose more of a threat as the half progressed and were handed a route back into the game in the final 20 minutes, as Ross Barclay was adjudged to have committed a foul in the area. The resulting penalty was converted by Louis Myers to ensure an entertaining finale.

The visitors pushed for an equaliser during the closing stages but were unable to find one, with Lewes seeing out the final few minutes comfortably to start pre-season with an encouraging performance and result against a side who were playing in the National League North last season.

Lewes continue their pre-season preparations at Peacehaven on Tuesday, kick-off at7.45pm.

Lewes: Stroomberg, Pamment, Redwood, Dome-Bemwin, Chappell, Freeman, Golding, Hammond, Adeyemo, Wilson, Mongoy.

Substitutes: Collings, Fagan, Day, Barclay, Gifford, Karl, Trialists.


FC United of Manchester: Wharton, Hellawell, Joyce, Foulds, Dean, Harding, Rodney,Shenton, Sharp, Carney, Ennis.

Substitutes: Morris, Walker, Jones, Fallon, Dodd, McDowell, Jallow, Griffiths, Leneghan, Myers.


Referee:Connall Bartlett


Attendance: 544