Lewes 1 C&K Basildon 1 – Lewes Community Football Club

Lewes 1 C&K Basildon 1

Women's football news

FAWPL South Sunday 27th August

Lewes denied ‘stonewall penalty’ late in the game

Lewes were left to rue a harsh non-decision by the officials
in a typically robust encounter at the Dripping Pan.

The visitors had failed to take a point from the Rooks in
four previous league matches, and it looked like another pointless visit might
be on the cards as Lewes started well. Nikita Runnacles saved bravely from Charlotte
Owen early on and Leeta Rutherford shot wide just before the break.

The visitors carved out good chances of their own as the
half unfolded, Leah Samain, on debut in the Lewes goal, saving well from CKB
skipper Zoe Rushen and again when one-on-one with Therese Addison, the Basildon
forward placing her finish wide under pressure.

CKB continued to threaten after the break. Addison, linking
well with April Bowers, looking increasingly dangerous. On 49 minutes, she
charged onto an in-swinging free-kick from wide on the right to head powerfully
at Samain. The Lewes ‘keeper managed to get something on it but the ball flew
up into the top corner. 0-1.

Samain was once again called into action, saving a fiercely
struck free kick. On the hour Lewes were level. Basildon failed t6o clear their
lines as the ball dropped to Amy Taylor on the right-hand side of the area.
Spotting Runnacles offer her line, Taylor hit an inch-perfect first-time volley
over the keeper and into the top corner. 1-1.

Sensing victory Lewes pressed forward. Dani Lane,
industrious, driving in from the left all afternoon and Bex Thompson linked
well, Kerry-Anne Stimpson making a vital interception for the visitors. Bowers
picked up a yellow card, joining team-mate Jay Blackie in the book, for throwing
the ball away as tensions and tempers rose.

Lewes brought on Rebecca Carter for Owen, adding pace to
their increasing attacks. With ten minutes to play McIntyre drove into the
Basildon box in the left. As she slipped past the first defender, Stimpson
raced across to flatten the Lewes midfielder with a full-tilt shoulder charge.
Everyone in the ground saw a penalty. Everyone, apart from the referee and his
assistants. The video replay, shot from a good deal further away, will make for
uncomfortable viewing for the referee.

Carter, with pace to burn, set up Taylor with a fine run and
cross only for the excellent Runnacles to take the ball off her toes. The game
ended with a series of stoppages for injuries, 1-1, honours even.

Manager John Donoghue was pleased with the all-round
performance, if not with the marking for the opening goal.

‘There were limited good chances for both teams. Basildon scored from a
header after a wide free kick was delivered, so I would have to question our
marking when a player scores under not enough pressure.’

‘The squad is
developing well but it will take time to mould them together. The players are training
well and this will soon transfer into understanding and combinations as players
understand what each other can do.  It’s great to have larger squad to
pick from. Players will see that this season it is all about the team. If
changes are made they then need to take their opportunities when they arise.’

Lewes Women’s next game is this Sunday at the Dripping Pan in their first FA WPL Cup run out this season against Southampton Saints. KO 2pm. Gates Open 12:30pm.