Late show sinks Lewes at Chatham – Lewes Community Football Club

Late show sinks Lewes at Chatham

Late show sinks Lewes at Chatham

Club news

Written by: Stuart

Lewes conceded three goals in the final 15 minutes to fall to a disappointing 3-0 defeat at Chatham Town, reports Tom Harper, pictures James Boyes.

Tony Russell made one change to the side that beat Ascot United 2-1 in the FA Cup, with Alfie Egan replacing Bradley Pritchard in the starting line-up.
The hosts started brightly and saw Ashley Nzala run onto a through-ball before forcing a smart save from Nathan Harvey early on.
Lewes were struggling to gain a foothold in the game, with a deflected Chris Whelpdale effort straight at Ben Bridle-Card in the Chatham goal being the closest they came to taking the lead themselves.
In truth, the Rooks had Harvey to thank for still being level at half-time, as he made fine saves to deny both Jamie Yila and Cameron Brodie with the hosts well on top.
Will Salmon and Archie Tamplin were introduced at half-time in place of Kieran Murtagh and Alfie Egan respectively, with the Rooks hoping to pose more of a threat after the break.
Lewes enjoyed arguably their best spell of the game during the early stages of the second half, with Deon Moore testing Bridle-Card with a long-range effort, before just missing the target with another powerful effort minutes later.
Harvey was soon called back into action though, helping a Ben Allen shot from distance round the post and then marking two exceptional saves at close-range to keep Lewes in the game.
The hosts were handed an excellent chance to take the lead with 15 minutes remaining, as they were awarded a penalty after Jake Elliott tripped Yila in the area.
Yila took the spot-kick himself, sending Harvey the wrong way to give Chatham a deserved lead.
He doubled his and Chatham’s tally just two minutes later, converting a dangerous low cross from the right at the far post.
The Rooks could easily have found a route back into the game, as Tommy Wood capitalised on some hesitant defending but could only shoot straight at the onrushing Bridle-Card.
Chatham secured all three points on 89 minutes, Nzala dispossessing Salmon down the right before beating Harvey at his near post to complete the scoring at 3-0 and give Lewes plenty to think about on their journey home from Kent.
The Rooks will hope to return to winning ways when they welcome Hastings United to the Pan on Tuesday, kick-off at 7.45pm.
Chatham Town: Bridle-Card, Hobden (Campbell 85), Butler, Nzala, Evans, Allen (Krabbendam 70), Yila, Brefo, Brodie, Sanogo (Robins 67), Bodkin.
Unused Subs: Allsopp, Cooper.
Booked: Sanogo.
Lewes: Harvey, Elliott, Hughes, Vint, Penney, Egan (Tamplin 46), Murtagh (Salmon 46), Wood, Whelpdale (Olukoga 65), Moore, Lumbombo-Kalala.
Unused Sub: Panyi.
Booked: Vint, Murtagh, Wood.
Attendance: 1,065 (approximately 60 Rooks)