Late Heartbreak For Lewes – Lewes Community Football Club

Late Heartbreak For Lewes

Late Heartbreak For Lewes

Women's football news

Lewes 2 – 3 London City Lionesses

A brace from Ini Umotong wasn’t enough for Lewes, as London City Lionesses scored a late goal to win 3-2 at The Dripping Pan.

It was a positive start from the Rooks as Umotong got her first shot of the game on three minutes, but couldn’t get the power behind it that she would’ve liked.

London City Lionesses had their first chance five minutes later when Atlanta Primus fired a free-kick towards the near post, only to be denied by Tatiana Saunders who got down quickly to make the save.

On 11 minutes the Rooks got the opening goal as Umotong scored her first goal for the Club. Emma Jones played a brilliant ball across the box and Lucy Ashworth-Clifford saw her shot saved, Zoe Cross then hit the post and it fell to Umotong who fired it into the roof of the net.

The visitors were quick from the kick-off to try and find an equaliser and Rhian Cleverly was required to make a vital block to deny Lily Agg from equalising.

However, 12 minutes after Lewes’ opener, London City Lionesses equalised. Saunders made a good save, but Primus was there first to follow it up and level the game.

Only five minutes later and the visitors took the lead. A free-kick on 27 minutes wasn’t cleared by the Lewes defence and the ball fell to Kallie Balfour who scored from the right-hand side of the area. 

10 minutes before half-time, Jones thought she had levelled the game. Ashworth-Clifford played a deep cross to the back post and Jones struck a powerful shot high into the net, only to be denied by the offside flag.

The Rooks continued to search for an equaliser before the break, as Mollie Rouse and Cross both tried shots from distance, but couldn’t find the net.

Umotong had the first chance of the second half for Lewes, but sent her header from the corner wide. While Jones’ low effort was well saved.

The visitors were then awarded a penalty on 57 minutes after the referee blew the whistle for a handball against Nicola Cousins. However, Ali Murphy sent her penalty well over the bar. 

Jones and Umotong were linking up well and the striker almost set-up the number seven, but the ball was just behind her and Jones couldn’t generate the power to beat Shae Yanez.

Lewes went close to equalising on 76 minutes as Katie Rood challenged the ‘keeper for a looping ball, but both Georgia Timms and Umotong saw their efforts blocked.

On 81 minutes the equaliser was found. The Rooks were awarded a penalty and Umotong stepped up to take it and sent the ‘keeper the wrong way to level the match. 

Simon Parker’s side tried to find a winner as Timms headed wide and Jones saw her cross collected by Yanez. 

However, it proved to be late heartbreak for Lewes. With seconds left to play, a corner fell to Ellie Mason in the area and her low shot found the net. Not long after the restart, the whistle was blown for full-time, meaning the three points went to London City Lionesses.


Lewes: Saunders, Quayle (Boswell 46), Cleverly (C), Cousins, O’Rourke, Cross (Rood 70), Rouse, Leek, Ashworth-Clifford (Timms 70), Umotong, Jones (Jhamat 90+2) 

Subs not used: Hartley, Lane, Hack, Savva, Mackey

Goals: Umotong 11, 82


London City Lionesses: Yanez, Wilson, Short, Murphy, Kemppi (Ejupi 72), Agg, Neville (Mason 46), Balfour (Rossiter 72), Nolan, Bennett (C), Primus

Subs not used: Wilson, Mackie, Priest, Ayisi, Fitzgerald, Fyfe

Goals: Primus 23, Balfour 27, Mason 90+3

Yellow cards: Agg 62, Rossiter 83