Honours even on a stormy afternoon at Wingate & Finchley – Lewes Community Football Club

Honours even on a stormy afternoon at Wingate & Finchley

Honours even on a stormy afternoon at Wingate & Finchley

Men's football news

Written by: Stuart

Lewes were forced to settle for a point at Wingate & Finchley after a game of few clear-cut opportunities played in terrible conditions in North London, reports Tom Harper.

Tony Russell made one change to the side that lost 2-1 to Corinthian Casuals in their previous game, with Freddie Parker replacing Joe Taylor in the starting line-up.
Lewes had the strong wind behind them in the first half but found it difficult to create any chances early on.
The first opening of note fell to Freddie Parker, who failed to make a proper connection with a Killian Colombie cross after good play down the right.
The hosts were defending well and looked capable of posing a threat going forward too, with Peter Dexter hooking a close-range effort just wide after a free-kick from the left wasn’t cleared.
Lewes were being forced into strikes from distance and saw Taylor Maloney draw a smart save from Ben Goode with a powerful 25-yard shot.
Wingate continued to cause the Lewes defence problems when they got forward and were unfortunate not to take the lead through Dylan Kearney, who cut in from the right before seeing his effort deflected onto the bar before eventually being scrambled clear.
Maloney went close for the Rooks again towards the end of the half, but once again found Goode equal to his long-range strike, this time from nearer 30 yards.
Lewes showed plenty of composure playing into the wind at the start of the second half and took the lead on 56 minutes through Bradley Pritchard, who was teed up by Parker to find the bottom corner from the edge of the area after good play down the left by Ollie Tanner.
The hosts levelled the scores just nine minutes later though, as a free-kick from just inside the Lewes half was headed in from close range by Dexter.
The Rooks responded well and nearly regained their lead minutes later, Parker seeing a shot deflected wide after a Michael Klass free-kick had been cleared into his path.
The next 15 minutes or so passed with very little goalmouth action, as both sides looked to take the lead but were unable to force either goalkeeper into meaningful action.
With the wind behind them, Wingate ramped up the pressure in the closing stages and saw a Bilal Sayoud free-kick deflected just wide.
They thought they had taken the lead late on, only to see substitute Liam Smyth flagged offside after converting a left-wing cross from close range.
The final chance of the game also fell to the hosts, with Tyrique Clarke heading a Luke Ifil cross over the bar, leaving both sides with a hard-fought point after an even game played in challenging conditions.
Lewes will hope to return to winning ways when they welcome Potters Bar Town to the Pan on Saturday, kick-off at 3pm.
Wingate & Finchley: Goode, Ifil, Mavila (Smyth 65), Hatton, Hobbs, Stirling, Cotter, Clarke, Kearney, Sayoud, Hinds (Ofori 79).
Unused Subs: Achuba, Armoo, Berchiche.
Booked: Kearney, Hinds.
Lewes: Carey, Colombie, Carlse, Salmon, Nelson, Klass, Pritchard (Olukoga 87), Maloney, Tanner, Parker (Taylor 87), Allen (De-Graft 87).
Unused Subs: Weaire, Hall.
Booked: Salmon, Klass.
Attendance: 144 (31 Rooks)