Honours even in the Bank Holiday sunshine – Lewes Community Football Club

Honours even in the Bank Holiday sunshine

Honours even in the Bank Holiday sunshine

Men's football news

Written by: Stuart

A game of few clear-cut chances ended in a hard-fought 0-0 draw, with Lewes forced to settle for a point for the second successive game over the Bank Holiday weekend, Tom Harper.

Tony Russell made three changes to the side that drew 1-1 at Corinthian Casuals 48 hours earlier, with Mitchell Nelson, Will Salmon and Rhys Murrell-Williamson replacing Tom Champion, Ayo Olukoga and Deshane Dalling in the starting line-up.
There were few chances of note early on, despite both sides committing players forward at every available opportunity.
The first opening fell to Lewes, who saw Deon Moore just fail to connect with a Marcel Elva-Fountaine cross from the right in front of goal.
Hastings came into the game as the half progressed and came close to opening the scoring themselves when Sam Hasler had a goal-bound effort blocked, before the ball was worked back out to the right and crossed in for Kane Penn to head wide at the far post.
Lewes were grateful to Lewis Carey for keeping the scores level minutes later, as he made a superb save low down to his left to keep out a close-range volley from Joe Gbode after a sliced Elva-Fountaine clearance.
From the resulting corner taken by Hasler, the unmarked Jack Dixon headed over the bar as the visitors looked to make the most of their spell on top.
Sam Adams was the next player to go close for Hastings, seeing his long-range strike clip the top of the bar with Carey beaten.
The final chance of the half fell to Lewes, Rhys Murrell-Williamson cutting in from the right before seeing his powerful strike deflected onto the bar.
The pace of Gbode had caused the Lewes defence problems during the first half and he continued to pose a threat after the break, with Will Salmon forced into a superb last-ditch challenge to prevent the impressive striker getting a shot away.
The Rooks went close themselves soon after, Alfie Young meeting a Jack Skinner free-kick but only being able to guide his header onto the roof of the net.
Clear-cut chances were few and far between for much of the remainder of the game but Carey had to be alert again to parry a well-struck Hasler free-kick.
Lewes were continuing to find it difficult to get in behind the visitor’s well-organised back line, a Ronan Silva shot from the edge area that went comfortably wide being the closest the Rooks came to taking the lead.
With the game heading towards a stalemate, Hastings had an excellent chance to win it with virtually the last kick, only to see Gbode shoot wide from close range after good play down the right by Tom Chalmers.
The final whistle was blown seconds later, leaving Lewes to reflect on a performance containing plenty of effort but just lacking the cutting edge of their other displays so far this season.
Today’s Progcast can be viewed here.
You can watch the highlights of the game thanks to Your Instant Replay here.
James Boyes’ excellent photos can be enjoyed here.
The Rooks take a break from league action with a trip to Sheppey United in the FA Cup first qualifying round on Saturday, kick-off at 3pm.
Lewes: Carey, Elva-Fountaine, Carlse, Nelson, Salmon, Young, Silva, Skinner (Pritchard 62), De-Graft, Murrell-Williamson (Taylor 51), Moore (Dalling 81).
Unused Subs: Yao, Olukoga.
Booked: Elva-Fountaine, Salmon.
Hastings United: Rogers, Stone, Chalmers, Dixon, Adams (Carvalho 63), Hasler, Brefo, Brown (Scott 64) (Hull 79), Penn, Gbode, Elliott.
Unused Subs: Worrall, Black.
Booked: Rogers, Dixon.
Attendance: 1,639