Honours even at Margate – Lewes Community Football Club

Honours even at Margate

Honours even at Margate

Club news

Written by: Stuart

Lewes came from behind twice to salvage a draw at Margate, but were unable to close the gap on the play-off places on a rainy afternoon in Kent, reports Tom Harper.

Tony Russell made one change to the side that beat Potters Bar Town 2-1 in their previous game, with Tyrique Hyde returning from injury and replacing Archie Tamplin in the starting line-up.
This change saw Ayo Olukoga move to right-back, with Hyde playing in an advanced role in midfield.
Margate made a bright start and took the lead after three minutes, the unmarked Sam Blackman heading a Ben Greenhalgh free-kick past Lewis Carey and into the top corner.
Lewes soon grew into the game though, keeping the ball well and beginning to stretch the Margate defence.
The Rooks equalised on 16 minutes through Hyde, who found space down the right-hand side of the penalty area before beating Margate goalkeeper Daniel Jinadu at his near post with a powerful strike to send the travelling fans into raptures.
Margate regained their lead just four minutes later, a corner from the right causing mayhem in the Lewes penalty area before eventually being forced over the line by Ruben Soares-Junior.
Lewes came close to an immediate response, Alfie Young heading a Razz Coleman De-Graft corner over the bar.
The Rooks scored a second equaliser on 34 minutes, an excellent passing move ending with Ryan Gondoh crossing from the left and Joe Taylor sending a sublime flicked finish past Jinadu and into the far corner.
After an entertaining, end-to-end first half, the second saw very few chances for either side, with Lewes dominating possession but finding it difficult to turn this into clear-cut opportunities.
Set-pieces provided their best chance of a third goal, a De-Graft corner from the left being helped back across goal by Will Salmon at the far post, before eventually being scrambled clear.
Minutes later, a goal-bound free-kick from Young was headed clear by Greenhalgh when it seemed destined for the top corner.
Margate briefly threatened themselves, Carey racing off his line to save bravely at the feet of Harvey Smith as he ran onto a Greenhalgh through-ball.
The Rooks continued to see more of the ball late on, but were unable to build up a real spell of pressure, meaning they had to settle for a point and leaving them four points adrift of the play-off with four games remaining.
Lewes host Herne Bay at the Pan on Good Friday, kick-off at 3pm.
Margate: Jinadu, Kasim, Christie, Blackman, Roberts (Smith 50), Wood, Greenhalgh, Barton, Ojemen, Oke, Soares-Junior (Rutherford 82).
Unused Subs: McCarthy, Sutcliffe, H. Young.
Booked: Christie, Roberts, Barton, Ojemen, Oke.
Lewes: Carey, Mundle-Smith, Champion, Olukoga, De-Graft (Moore 64), Hyde, Taylor, Gondoh, A. Young (Murrell-Williamson 82), Pritchard (Tamplin 57), Salmon.
Unused Subs: Huckle, Hall.
Booked: None.
Referee: Aaron Conn
Attendance: 559 (approximately 80 Rooks fans)