Foxes run out winners in high tempo encounter – Lewes Community Football Club

Foxes run out winners in high tempo encounter

Foxes run out winners in high tempo encounter

Women's football news

Leicester City 1-0 Lewes
FA Women’s Championship
Sunday 2 February

Despite a much-improved performance and plenty of chances for the Rooks, Lewes lost 1-0 away to Leicester City in the East Midlands.

It was a quick start from the hosts and Sophie Harris was called in to early action to deny Paige Bailey-Gayle from scoring.

On six minutes the Rooks had their first chance of the game. Caitlin Hayes played a great cross field ball to Emma Jones who passed it back to Jess King. The number 10 tried to curl an effort into the top corner, but the ball went inches wide.

Three minutes later and King had another chance. She was looking to lay the ball out to the winger, but instead decided to turn on to her left foot and fire an effort that went just past the goalpost.

Lewes had another chance on 20 minutes as Jones picked the ball up from a throw-in and tried to square it across to King, but it was just out of her reach.

On 22 minutes recent signing Ella Rutherford had a chance for the hosts as she tried to curl an effort. However, it was a straight at Harris and she collected it with ease.

Five minutes later and Lewes had to make their first sub of the game as Paula Howells had to come off after getting injured from an earlier tackle and Emily Donovan came on in her place.

Lewes had a great chance on the 30-minute mark. Ellie Noble played a corner deep to the back post where Hayes was waiting, but her powerful header went just wide of the goal.

After half-time, on 53 minutes, Charlie Devlin had a chance for Leicester as she tried to loop an effort over Harris into the goal, but her effort was just too high.

Five minutes later and Noble had a free kick in a dangerous position on the edge of the area. Her effort was on target and fumbled by Demi Lambourne in the Leicester goal, but she was able to gather before an attacker reached it.

On 63 minutes Harris was called into action again, this time with a flying save to deny Lachante Paul whose effort looked destined for the top corner.

But two minutes later Leicester got their goal. Devlin crossed a ball into the box to find Annabel Blanchard who fired low past Harris and into the net.

With 15 minutes to go Emma Jones picked up the ball and fired a shot from an awkward angle that went over.

Going into the closing stages of the game Lewes continued their search for an equaliser as King flicked an effort just over the bar.

However, it wasn’t to be, as the game finished 1-0 to Leicester City.

Lewes Starting XI: Harris; Quayle, Cleverly (C), Hayes, Jones, Noble, King, Howells (Donovan 27), O’Rourke, Savva (Powell 85), Rood

Subs not used: Baker, Rowbotham, Boswell, Lane, Timoney

Yellow cards: Quayle 63, Cleverly 85

Leicester Starting XI: Lambourne; Johnson, Morgan (C), Devlin, Blanchard (Everett 90), Paul, James, Thomas (Brown 60), Bailey-Gayle (Smith 80), Rutherford, Plumptre

Subs not used: Field, Cataldo, Lawrence

Goal: Blanchard 65