DS stung by Wasps on Red Monday – Lewes Community Football Club

DS stung by Wasps on Red Monday

DS stung by Wasps on Red Monday

Men's football news

After waiting nearly a month since our last match, Lewes DS side
took on East Grinstead Town DS on a stormy Monday night at The Pan. 
Consequently, there were a number of changes to the side that last beat

Having become a regular in Darren Freeman’s first team squad,
Harry Read was unavailable, whilst Josh Tuck and Will Robinson are out on loan
to get first team experience.  The squad
has also lost Troak, having gone off to university whilst Frimpong has departed
from the club.  New faces in Steve Eke’s
squad included new signings Bradley Rayner, Nathan Williams and Emanuel
Osei-Asomah, alongside two players from Alex Walsh’s U18s squad, Harrison
Parker and Alfie Headland. 

The game started at a good pace with Lewes pressing high and
winning the ball in good areas. The first chance of the game fell to the
visitors though with their centre-forward wasting a chance when he shot off target.  At the other end a counter-attack started by
keeper Stroomberg sees Williams break into the area but his dangerous cross was
claimed by the keeper.

The first major talking point of the game came on 25 minutes
when George McCarthy plays the ball down the flack to Gifford and he cuts
inside his man and appears to be brought down. 
Whilst the Rooks appeal for a spot-kick the referee determines it was
simulation and books the Lewes man.

minutes later and George McCarthy forces the visitors keeper into an excellent
save, then repeats the trick a few minutes later from Gifford’s shot from the
edge of the box. But then against the run of play the visitors take the
lead.  A looping cross from the right deceives
Stroomberg, only able to push the ball onto the bar but into the path of the
on-rushing East Grinstead player who taps home.

The half-time team talk had an immediate impact as within the
first minute of the second half Lewes were level.  McCarthy passes to Gifford who neatly plays
in Karl and he calmly slots the ball into the corner of the net to
equalise.  Both teams then press forward,
looking to take the lead but on 67 minutes it is the visitors who again score
as an under-hit pass from Barclay is intercepted and the strike from the edge
of the box beats Stroomberg and into the top corner.

minutes later and the visitors score a third with a move started by their
keeper.  The final shot from the edge of
the box is parried by Stroomberg but an East Grinstead Town player is quickest
to re-act and slots home to make it 3-1.

Lewes went in search of an equaliser and whilst Matt Gunn came
close with a late header, there was no joy for the Rooks and whilst the score
line flattered the visitors it was good to be back in action after so long
without a game.

 N.Stroomberg, L.Dramis, M.Gunn,
W.Bacic (70mins –  A.Headland), B.Rayner
(60mins – H.Parker) , N.Williams, G.McCarthy, E.Osei-Asomah, S.Karl, R.Barclay,