Derby day redemption for Rooks – Lewes Community Football Club

Derby day redemption for Rooks

Derby day redemption for Rooks

Men's football news

Written by: Jack

Lewes produced an excellent team performance to return to winning ways with a deserved 3-1 win at local rivals Hastings United. Report from Tom Harper, photos from James Boyes.

Tony Russell made one change to the side that lost 3-0 at home to Billericay in their previous game, with Bradley Pritchard replacing Ayo Olukoga in the starting line-up.
There were no chances of note for either side early on, as both teams looked to keep possession and build from the back whilst acclimatising to the unpleasant conditions.
Lewes were carrying a threat going forward, with Kieran Murtagh linking the play well from his lone striker role and looking to bring Ryan Gondoh into play down the right at every opportunity.
The Rooks took the lead with the first clear-cut chance of the game on 35 minutes, as Murtagh played Kalvin Lumbombo-Kalala in behind and he rounded Charlie Grainger in the Hastings goal before finishing with aplomb from a tight angle.
This briefly galvanised the hosts, who saw Davide Rodari drag an effort wide when well placed after Sam Oguntayo had done superbly to deny Tommie Fagg with a fine last-ditch challenge.
Lewes were handed a major boost just before half-time when Hastings saw former Rook Jack Dixon sent off after receiving two yellow cards in quick succession, seemingly for dissent.
With the rain continuing to fall, the game could easily have fallen victim to the elements even at this stage, but the pitch continued to hold up well at the start of the second half.
Murtagh came close to doubling Lewes’ lead within minutes of the restart, but saw his goal-bound attempt blocked after being picked out by a Chris Whelpdale cut-back.
The Rooks made it 2-0 on 62 minutes, as intricate play down the right ended with Murtagh crossing for Lumbombo-Kalala to fire into the roof of the net from close range and spark jubilant celebrations behind the goal.
To their credit, Hastings stayed in the game and saw Freddie Legg shoot straight at Nathan Harvey after a purposeful run down the right, before calling him into action again to make a superb save in order to keep out a powerful Sam Gale strike.
The hosts were given a route back into the game on 77 minutes when substitute Finley Chapman was tripped in the area.
Rodari took the penalty and sent Harvey the wrong way from the spot to make it 2-1 and set up a tense finale for the travelling fans.
Lewes used all their experience at this stage, managing the game well by soaking up the pressure and looking to hit Hastings on the break with their pace in the final third.
The Rooks sealed all three points four minutes into injury-time, as Murtagh played in substitute Archie Tamplin, who took a touch before finishing emphatically across Grainger and into the bottom corner to put the seal on a fine away performance and send the travelling support home happy.
Lewes will hope to build on this result when they travel to Canvey Island on Tuesday, kick-off at 7.45pm.
Hastings United: Grainger, Black, Dixon, Penfold, Rodari, Moynes, Ufuah, Fagg (Chapman 56), Lovatt, Legg (Okoye 87), Gale.
Unused Subs: Walker, Arena, Hull.
Booked: Black, Fagg, Gale.
Sent off: Dixon.
Lewes: Harvey, Ming, Vint, Elliott, Oguntayo, Penney, Pritchard (Tamplin 73), Whelpdale (Olukoga 78), Gondoh (Ogunwamide 83), Lumbombo-Kalala, Murtagh.
Unused Subs: Wood, Sablier.
Booked: Ming, Vint.
Attendance: 2,712