Deon at the double – Lewes Community Football Club

Deon at the double

Deon at the double

Men's football news

Written by: Stuart

A Deon Moore brace helped Lewes to a 2-0 win over Carshalton Athletic in the first game on their new hybrid pitch at the Pan, reports Tom Harper.

Tony Russell made two changes to the side that drew 1-1 at Wingate & Finchley on the opening day of the season, with Will Salmon and Rhys Murrell-Williamson replacing Henry Muggeridge and Deshane Dalling in the starting line-up.
These changes saw Alfie Young move into midfield, with Salmon partnering Tom Champion at the heart of the defence.
Both sides traded chances in an otherwise cagey opening 10-15 minutes, Gus Sow just missing the target with a half-volley from the edge of the area for the visitors, before Jack Skinner saw a goal-bound effort blocked for the Rooks.
Lewes took the lead on 19 minutes through Deon Moore, who made a late run into the box to convert an inviting Razz Coleman De-Graft cross from the left.
The Rooks were controlling possession, with the immaculate playing surface making it easy for them to play the incisive passing football that the majority of the impressive 803-strong crowd came to know and enjoy last season.
Despite this, Carshalton were continuing to pose a threat themselves as the half progressed, Arthur Lee heading a Tom Beere corner wide at the far post, before Leo Hamblin shot just wide after good build-up play down the left.
Lewes made a bright start to the second half and Murrell-Williamson was at the heart of all their best play, going close twice with almost identical efforts as he cut in from the right before sending one shot just wide of the near post and then seeing a second attempt minutes later saved by Liam Beach.
Between these efforts, Murrell-Williamson charged down an attempted clearance and the ball dropped to Moore, who put his snap-shot over the bar.
The impressive attacking play continued, with Beach saving bravely at the feet of Moore and De-Graft shooting just wide after a mazy run.
Beach was keeping the visitors in the game at this stage, as he denied both Murrell-Williamson and the impressive Skinner before the former sent a far-post volley from a Will Salmon cross into the side-netting.
Lewes finally scored the second goal their pressure had been threatening on 62 minutes, Moore capitalising on a loose pass at the back, rounding Beach and finishing into the empty net.
There were some complaints from the visitors as the linesman had initially flagged for offside when the ball ran through to Moore, but the referee allowed play to continue and the goal stood.
Lewes continued to control the game as the half progressed, without quite being able to apply the same pressure they had during the early stages of the second half.
They could still have added to their lead late on though, as Skinner latched onto a long ball forward but was denied again by Beach.
The Rooks saw out the closing stages comfortably to record their first win of the season, sending the majority of the exceptional crowd home happy.
To view the highlights, provided by Your Instant Replay, click here
To read the progcast, please click here.
Lewes welcome Bishop’s Stortford to the Pan on Saturday, kick-off at 3pm.
Lewes: Carey, Elva-Fountaine (Yao 89), Carlse, Champion, Salmon, Young, Silva, Skinner (Olukoga 90), De-Graft, Murrell-Williamson (Dalling 70), Moore.
Unused Subs: Nelson, Muggeridge.
Booked: Elva-Fountaine, Young, De-Graft.
Carshalton Athletic: Beach, Lema, Hamblin, Lee, Beere (Williams 57), Pearce, Smith-Joseph, Sow, Figueira, Bradford (Ekpiteta 62), Allen (Embery 74).
Unused Subs: Mvemba, Harrison.
Booked: Figueira, Williams.
Attendance: 803