Cup Campaign Ends In Defeat – Lewes Community Football Club

Cup Campaign Ends In Defeat

Women's football news

Lewes 1 – 3 Bristol City

Lewes’ Continental Tyres League Cup campaign ended with a loss on Wednesday night, as Bristol City won 3-1 at The Dripping Pan.

Manager Simon Parker made a number of changes to his side as he looked to rotate his squad and give players minutes, while also trying different tactics.

Bristol got the game started and Lewes had an early chance in opening minutes. New signing Lucy Porter tried to play Emma Jones in on goal, but the flag was raised for offside.

Only a minute later and the ball was up the other end in the Lewes penalty area. An attempted cross hit a Lewes defender and Bristol players were quick to claim a handball, but the referee disagreed and play continued.

On 14 minutes, the Rooks had another good chance as Jones played a nice ball to Sammy Quayle, but the Robins defender was quick to get back and stop the attack.

Six minutes later and Bristol City had another chance. Abi Harrison picked up the ball in the middle of the pitch and tried an effort from range that Laura Hartley was able to push away for a corner.

The opening goal came on 25 minutes for the Robins. Jemma Purfield was able to intercept the ball and run forward with it and strike a shot that looped over Hartley and into the net.

Bristol City then doubled their lead five minutes later. A corner wasn’t fully cleared, and Emma Bissell fired a low shot through the crowded area to give the visitors a two goal advantage.

It turned out to be a damaging nine minutes for Lewes, as Bristol got their third goal on 34 minutes. Ebony Salmon was proving to be a threat in the opening half, and she managed to work some space and curl an effort into the bottom corner from range.

Two minutes before the break, Hartley was required to make an important save, as she came off her line quickly to close the angle and block the shot.

The second half started with some early corners for the Robins, but Lewes were able to defend them well.

11 minutes into the second half, Lewes were able to get a goal back. Quayle did well on the right to win the Rooks a corner and when it was played in Rhian Cleverly was at the near post to get the final touch to turn it in.

The next chance came on 72 minutes when Izzy Cook came on from the bench for Bristol to hit the crossbar.

Megan Mackey tried a shot from distance four minutes later, but couldn’t quite get the power and direction she wanted.

Entering the closing minutes, Lewes were pushing players forward as they looked to stage a late comeback. However, it wasn’t enough, and the referee eventually blew her whistle for full-time, ending Lewes’ Continental Tyres League Cup campaign.

Lewes Starting XI: Hartley, Quayle, Cleverly (C), Hack (Howells 69), Jones (Jhamat 81), Noble, Boswell, Donovan (Lane 46), O’Rourke, Mackey (Leek 81), Porter

Subs Not Used: Saunders, Cousins, Newman, Griffin, Savva

Goal: Cleverly 56


Bristol City Starting XI: Baggaley, Evans (Layzell 46), Matthews (C), Humphrey, Salmon, Allen (Colis 72), Bissell, Harrisson (Cook 67), Purfield, Mastrantonio, Jones (Wilson 84) 

Subs Not Used: Häland

Goals: Purfield 25, Bissell 30, Salmon 34