Chipstead hold Rooks but fail to stop the promotion party – Lewes Community Football Club

Chipstead hold Rooks but fail to stop the promotion party

Chipstead hold Rooks but fail to stop the promotion party

Men's football news

finished the season with a 0-0 draw against Chipstead in a game of few chances
at the Pan in front of a superb crowd of 1,134, a result which meant the Rooks
finished second in the league after Carshalton Athletic’s emphatic 7-0 victory
over VCD Athletic reports Tom Harper.

Freeman made one change to the side that lost 2-0 at Faversham in their
previous game, with Ronnie Conlon replacing Billy Medlock in the starting

The visitors
started the game brightly, and saw Andrew Mensah denied by Chris Winterton
before Dean Lodge missed the target with an effort from the edge of the area
shortly after during the opening stages.

Lewes grew
into the game as the half progressed, with Omarr Lawson missing the target
twice in quick succession as they looked to take the lead and put pressure on
Carshalton in the race for the title.

always looked dangerous going forward themselves though, and Winterton had to
be alert to keep out a powerful Sam Bell volley.

The Rooks
started to see more of the ball in the closing stages of the half, as Lawson
drew a smart save from Michael Sibley in the Chipstead goal after good work by
Ronnie Conlon, before Jonte Smith saw a header from a Leon Redwood cross
disallowed for offside minutes later.

The final
chance of the half fell to Lewes, but Conlon could only head a dangerous James
Hammond cross wide.

started the second half with plenty of confidence and came close to taking the
lead within minutes of the restart, as Mensah latched onto a Dylan Cascoe
through-ball but put his effort wide of the upright under pressure from Lloyd

Despite the
lack of clear-cut opportunities, there was a party atmosphere in the ground as
Lewes fans celebrated the club’s first promotion for ten years.

The Rooks
were being restricted to half-chances by the hardworking visitors, with Jonte
Smith heading a Jamie Brotherton cross straight at Sibley as they pushed for a

Lewes had
arguably their best chance to finish the season with a win with just over ten
minutes remaining, as Frankie Chappell attacked an excellent Leon Redwood
corner but could only guide his header just over the bar from close range.

The final
chance of the game fell to the visitors in stoppage-time, with Winterton
helping a 25-yard free-kick from Chris O’Flaherty over the bar.

Whilst Lewes
may have been slightly disappointed not to finish the season with a win, this
was a brilliant campaign for the Rooks, who deservedly secured promotion with
three games to spare and can now look ahead to a return to the Bostik Premier
next season.

saw Ronnie Conlon named Supporters’ Young Player of the Season and Frankie
Chappell crowned the Supporters’ Player of the Season, before players and
supporters celebrated promotion together on the pitch.

Lewes: Winterton, Brinkhurst, Redwood,
Hammond, Chappell, Cotton, Lawson (Medlock 55), Sow, Smith (Elliott 61),
Conlon, Coppola (Brotherton 51).

Unused Subs: Reed, Bosma.

Booked: None.

Chipstead: Sibley, Warren, Gunner, Cumber, Page
(Boakye 46), Males, Lodge (Cascoe 46), Khan, Mensah (Adaje 68), Bell,

Unused Subs: Twum, Smith.

Booked: None.

Referee: Benjamin Knight

Attendance: 1,134