Carey the saviour as Rooks advanced in the FA Tophy – Lewes Community Football Club

Carey the saviour as Rooks advanced in the FA Tophy

Carey the saviour as Rooks advanced in the FA Tophy

Men's football news

Written by: Stuart

A pair of saves from Lewis Carey in a penalty shoot out saw Lewes proceed to the Second Round Proper of the FA Trophy at Chesham United (pictures: Danny Last)

With games still coming at a rate of twice a week, Rooks boss Tony Russell rested Bradley Pritchard and Razz Coleman De-Graft from the starting XI for the tie against Southern Premier League South play off hopefuls Chesham United, with Johnville Renee and Rhys Murrell-Williamson starting in their respective places.

The home side seemed the most comfortable in the early stages, making good use of the width of the pitch and took the lead in the 8th minute when Ricardo German was able to move in front the touch line then pulled the ball back to skipper Frankie Sutherland whose shot from the edge of the box eluded Lewis Carey.

The lead lasted just over ten minutes before Rooks skipper Tom Champion headed home at the far post from a Jamie Mascoll corner.  The goal gave the Rooks a boost and Joe Taylor was a whisker away from scoring after his shot smacked against the bar.

Lewes finished the half the stronger but it was the home side who emerged the sharper in the second period.  However, the Rooks back line held firm and it was a forty five minutes where it seemed the game was destined for penalties.

With four of the six minutes of injury time played, the Rooks took the lead.  Rohan Silva’s run went unchecked, Beasant made a save but the rebound was pounced on by Joe Raylor and he squared to Jamie Mascoll who tapped home. But the cup drama wasn’t over just yet.  Chesham’s sub Karl Oliyide found space in the area as Lewes failed to clear the ball and he equalised with seconds remaining.

And so to penalties.  Jamie Mascoll took first and gave the Rooks first advantage.  Frankie Sutherland’s first effort for the home side was then saved by Lewis Carey.  Having never missed a penalty in a competitive match for Lewes, few would have bet against Joe Taylor failing to double the lead but his penalty was tipped into the post by Sam Beasant.  Chesham then levelled the score with their next kick, Ricardo German sending Carey the wrong way.  Sub Mitchell Nelson’s kick was unstoppable to give the Rooks the lead again.  Karl Oliyide then sent his kick the wrong side of the post to really give the Rooks an advantage, increased to 3-1 when Alfie Young powered his home.  This meant it was all or nothing for Jack Connors.  Lewis Carey guessed right and the Rooks had won their first penalty shoot out since beating Farnborough an an FA Cup tie in 2018.


Mascoll scores (1-0 Lewes)

Sutherland saved (1-0)

Taylor saved (1-0)

German scores (1-1)

Nelson scores (2-1)

Oliyide misses (2-1)

Young scores (3-1)

Connors saved (3-1)

The Rooks look forward to the next round draw on Monday before taking on Aveley on Tuesday night at The Pan, kick-off 7:45pm.

Chesham United: Beasant, Ferreira De Paiva (Connors 90 mins), Rolfe, Casey, Prosper, Sutherland, Mfinda (Oliyide 73 mins), Gibbons, German, Edwards, Brooks (Joseph 65 mins)

Subs not used: Gallimore, Brown

Booked: Sutherland, German

Lewes: Carey, Elva-Fountaine (Dalling 88 mins), Mascoll, Salmon, Young, Olukoga (Nelson 89 mins), Hyde, Renee, Murrell-Williamson (Silva 65 mins), Taylor

Subs not used: Pritchard, Skinner, Coleman De-Graft

Booked: Elva-Fountaine, Champion

Attendance: ??? (approximately 20 travelling Rooks)