As part of Lewes FC’s commitment to promoting football done better, we are excited to announce that we are taking part in the ‘Green Football Weekend’ on the 5th February.
The Green Football Weekend is a wonderful initiative run by the FA, bringing together English football clubs and their fans to use the power of football to shine a light on climate change.’
For us, we will be serving only vegan food on the day, and we are encouraging any fans attending on the day to do their bit as well. We will also be selling pre-loved merch in the club shop as well as welcoming any potential volunteers for our community garden.
We’ve come up with ‘10 actions for Green Football Weekend’ which we’d love for you to try.
10 actions to support Lewes’ Green Football Weekend today and beyond
1. Walk, bring a bike or take public transport to the game.
2. Buy pre-loved products (training tops, match day kit, and various other unique items that wouldn’t usually be available to purchase.
3. Use digital team sheets – to access our team sheets digitally, please scan the QR codes around the stadium, we will also be putting up a handful of communal copies around the stadium.
4. Bring your own coffee cup to our matchdays.
5. Volunteer at the community garden.
6. Keep tickets on the phone and try to avoid printing them.
7. Go vegan for the day (and the future?)! – We serve a great selection of vegan food all year round loved by both our vegan and non-vegan fans. We are taking this a step further and going completely vegan for the day.
8. Switch to reusable menstrual products – check out the sustainable period underwear made by our matchday sponsors NixiBody
9. Use recyclable products wherever possible.
10. Separate your compost – Composting barrels at our stadium mean that nothing is wasted, and leftovers go straight back into the soil. Learn how to compost.
We also think it’s important to mention what we currently do to make the football club greener.
– Community garden set up by men’s player, Bradley Pritchard. Here we grow vegetables, some of which are even given out as Player of the Match Awards!
– Composting; nothing gets wasted at the club.
– Our stadium uses solar panels to help us control the amount of energy we use.
– Vegan food is served at every fixture.
– With our club being situated just a two-minute walk from Lewes Train Station, we always want to encourage fans to get the train or even walk to our games if they live local.
We don’t want to stop here in our bid to make the football club greener, and we know that right now, we are not perfect.
With that in mind, we would love for any potential sustainability partners to get in touch with our Commercial Manager: Stef@LewesFC.com
What’s more, you can pledge your support for us below by tapping on our name and what you will do to take part.
By pledging your support and committing to eco-friendly switches you can help the club climb the leaderboard amongst other clubs taking part.