A tough evening sees the Rooks bow out of the Continental Cup. – Lewes Community Football Club

A tough evening sees the Rooks bow out of the Continental Cup.

A tough evening sees the Rooks bow out of the Continental Cup.

Club news

Written by: Shrey

A tough and competitive game saw Lewes knocked out of The Continental Cup as Jodie Hutton’s goal earned Bristol City a 1-0 win at the Dripping Pan, despite a string of relentless chances from The Rooks. 

Bristol made a bright start to the game coming out strong and defensive, resulting in them holding possession of the ball.

Lewes started to see more of the ball as the half progressed with some great chances created, but were struggling to convert them.

Two strong chances from Izzy Dalton with a cracker of a ball from the outside the penalty area, but both falling short flying over the goal.

Bristol City finished the half strongly with Jodie Hutton scoring straight from a corner.

The Rooks came back fighting strong and started pushing hard with Amelia Hazard hustling the ball into the box and striking a fierce ball across the six-yard box causing Bristol’s backline to scramble and keep the ball out.

Scott Booth’s side kept applying the pressure and a chance created by Emily Kraft saw the Bristol keeper make a low save at the near goal post.


Lewes kept on pressing with Rebecca McKenna creating a chance for The Rooks at the brink of half-time but it went wide of the goal.

The Rooks made a bright start to the second half, looking the stronger of the two sides. A fabulous ball from Nat Johnson evaded everyone in the box, but her hard work awarded Lewes a free kick on the edge of the box, but was sent over the goal and into the away supporters.

Lewes continued to keep their foot on the gas, but struggled to find an equaliser.

Bristol created a flurry of strong chances and looked dangerous causing Emily Moore some serious work. A nasty tackle made by Bristol’s Clinton on Amber Keegan-Stobbs near the dugout in extra time saw the visitors reduced to ten on the pitch, but still was not enough for The Rooks to equalise.

A hard-fought display with the tightest of margins saw The Rooks knocked out of The Continental Cup.