Rooks far too serious for Casuals – Lewes Community Football Club

Rooks far too serious for Casuals

Rooks far too serious for Casuals

Club news

Lewes produced arguably their most complete performance of the season so far to record an emphatic 3-0 victory over Corinthian Casuals at the Pan and move up to fourth in the Bostik Premier table, reports Tom Harper.

Darren Freeman made one change to the side that beat Leatherhead 1-0 in their previous game, with Dayshonne Golding replacing Tom Day in the starting line-up, a change which saw the Rooks return to a back four after starting three centre-backs on Saturday.

Lewes started brightly, pressing high up the pitch and looking to force errors from the visitors.

Omarr Lawson was at the heart of most of their positive play early on, seeing a clever chipped cross go just too far ahead of Dayshonne Golding at the far post at the end of an incisive counter-attack, before having a curling effort from the edge of the area deflected just wide minutes later.

The Rooks were continuing to look the more likely scorers and took the lead after 28 minutes through Lawson, who ran onto a perfectly weighted Jonte Smith flick to shoot past Danny Bracken at his near post at the end of a superb passing move.

Casuals very nearly equalised immediately though, with the unmarked Jack Strange only able to head a Jordan Clarke corner from the right wide of the near post.

Lewes controlled the remainder of the half and should arguably have doubled their lead just before the break, Lawson evading two challenges on the edge of the area before shooting just over the bar with only Bracken to beat.

The early stages of the second half saw few chances for either side, with Lewes looking solid defensively without really threatening to add to their lead.

The Rooks returned to their dominant first-half performance levels just after the hour though, and saw Henri Wilder force a smart save from Bracken at the end of more impressive build-up play.

Lewes doubled their lead after 72 minutes, as Golding got in behind the Casuals defence down the right and drilled a dangerous low ball across goal to Kieron Pamment at the far post, who took a touch before shooting high into the roof of the net from close range.

The Rooks extended their lead further five minutes later, as Smith had the beating of the Casuals defence down the right before cutting the ball back for the onrushing Golding to fire through the legs of Bracken and into the back of the net from just inside the area to make it 3-0 to Lewes.

The remainder of the game passed with little incident, as Lewes recorded their second consecutive victory to move back in the Bostik Premier play-off places.

Darren was obviously delighted with the performance when he spoke to Barry Collins post-match.

Full highlights of the game can be viewed here thanks to Your Instant Replay.

The E-Prog from the game can be viewed here.

Next up for the Rooks is a trip to third-place Bishop’s Stortford on Saturday, kick-off at 3pm.

Lewes: Carey, Brinkhurst, Wilder, Dome-Bemwin, Chappell, Freeman (Day 86), Golding (Reed 85), Hammond, Smith (Blewden 85), Lawson, Pamment.
Unused Subs: Elliott, Karl.
Booked: None.

Corinthian Casuals: Bracken, Spencer, Tucker Strange, Hannigan, Ekim, Oldham (Serbony 82), Mann (S. Brown 59), Dillan (A. Brown 68), Hamilton, Clarke.
Unused Subs: McAllister, Adelakun.
Booked: Ekim, A. Brown.

Referee: Lee Dyson

Attendance: 252