Macca’s late strike sinks Terriers – Lewes Community Football Club

Macca’s late strike sinks Terriers

Women's football news

SSE Women’s FA Cup 4th

V Huddersfield Town LFC at
the Stafflex Arena, Huddersfield

Lewes FC Women face another away day in the Cup after
knocking out Huddersfield Town in their own back yard, writes Ash Head

A 500 mile round trip after a month-long break, combined
with a fierce opponent out for revenge, couldn’t stop the Rookettes as goals
from Rebecca Carter and Katie McIntyre saw them through a tricky away tie.

Lewes manager John Donoghue admitted both sides looked
ring-rusty in the early exchanges, and paid tribute to a tough opponent.

“The long break was key. Both sides looked a little out of
sorts at times. There wasn’t much a flow to the game early on, but I thought
both sets of players put a tremendous amount of work in. It was nice to get the

They were very determined not to concede early, they wanted
to set their stamp on the game. It was a home game for them so it was in their
minds to start quickly, and they did that, they were strong.”

Huddersfield started well, seeking to avenge their 4-0 defeat
in last April’s FA WPL Plate final. Lewes ‘keeper Faye Baker was the busier in
goal in the early stages, though she commanded her area with aplomb, plucking a
succession of high balls out of the air ‘like shelling peas’ according to match
commentator Jane Roberts.

Lewes were well aware of the goal threat from top striker
Emily Heckler but it was terriers skipper Kate Mallin who caused most trouble
with her direct runs on goal. One curled free kicked called Baker into action, once
again the Lewes stopper showed a safe pair of hands.

The visitors improved as the half wore on. Sarah Kempson
grazed an upright with a long-range effort before debutant Kylie McCarthy headed
Kempson’s free kick over the bar from 7 yards. Dani Lane found space to run at
the home defence but in truth both sides struggled to get on top. HT 0-0.

The game roared into life in the second half when Lewes were
awarded a penalty. Vicky Carleton deceived her marker twice before being
scythed down in the area, an easy decision for the referee. Avilla Bergin
struck the spot kick. ‘Town ‘keeper Laura Carter blocked with a trailing foot,
the ball rebounding off the post. Her Lewes namesake ‘Chewy’ Carter reacted
quickest, racing in to score. 0-1.

Huddersfield responded almost immediately. Mallin once again
rampaged into the box, squaring her pass for the unmarked Sanderson who slotted
home. 1-1.

As the game opened up good chances fell to both sides to win
the tie. Rebecca Carter spurned the best of them, wriggling through with the
goal at her mercy, her shot skewed agonisingly wide. Moments later Carleton was
on the end of another clumsy challenge in the Huddersfield box, Lewes cries for
a penalty waved away. Lewes brought on lively winger Claire Johnson for Bergin
as the visitors pressed for the win. Within two minutes she helped turn the
game in favour of the Sussex side.

With extra time looming, it seemed something special would
be needed. Cometh the hour, cometh the captain, aided and abetted by the busy
Johnson, who’s deft lay-off was met by Katie McIntyre on the full. The ball
flew off her laces from fully 20 yards, giving Carter no chance. 1-2.

Lewes looked to close out the game, bringing club Captain
Kelly Newton on for Kempson. With a minute left of the 90 Heckler put a great
chance to level the tie wide.  FT 1-2.

After the match Faye Baker and Leeta Rutherford spoke to
Jane Roberts to give their assessment of the match.

“It was a slow start’ admits Baker. “The movement wasn’t
really there, they settled into the game a little quicker than we did. We were
sloppy in possession, maybe to be expected after the long Christmas break. In
the second half we improved, we changed things around and we were the better

Rutherford agreed. “We struggled to get a grip. It was good
to see us following in on the penalty. We were driving in well in the second
half, taking the game to them.”

Baker was pleased with Kylie McCarthy’s first showing for
the side.

“I like her at centre back, somebody who wants the ball to
feet and who listens!”

On the forthcoming visit of Portsmouth this Sunday:

“We have some unfinished business there. I don’t think we
done ourselves justice in the last match, so we’re looking forward to it.”

Lewes progress into the 4th round of the SSE
Women’s FA Cup where they have been drawn away to Keynsham Town of the FA WPL
South West Division. The match will be played on Sunday 4th
February. A win would take the Rookettes into the 5th round of the
FA Cup for the first time in their history.


This Sunday, 15th January, Lewes host Portsmouth
FC Ladies in the third round of the FA WPL Cup at the Dripping Pan. Kick off is
at 2pm.


MvP: Dani Lane

Attendance: 96


Lewes: Faye Baker, Rebecca Thompson Agbro, Kylie McCarthy,
Natasha Wells,  Leeta Rutherford, Vicky
Carleton, Dani lane, Katie McIntyre, Sarah Kempson, Rebecca Carter, Avilla


Subs: Claire Johnson (75), Kelly Newton (87), Rachel Palmer,
Georgia Bridges, Darcey James