Lewes Defeated By Two Second Half Goals – Lewes Community Football Club

Lewes Defeated By Two Second Half Goals

Lewes Defeated By Two Second Half Goals

Women's football news

Lewes 0 – 2 Crystal Palace

The Rooks ended their final game of the year with a defeat, as Crystal Palace scored two second half goals to win the game.

Crystal Palace provided the early pressure in the opening five minutes, but the Lewes defence stood firm and prevented them from having any clear chances.

On seven minutes, the Eagles had their first free-kick. Danni Lane was able to rise highest and head it away and the follow-up shot was an easy save for Tatiana Saunders.

Three minutes later and it was another free-kick for Crystal Palace. This time Saunders reacted well pushing the shot away.

Lewes’ first attack saw some good build-up play, but Ellie Leek sliced her shot and Palace were able to clear.

Hannah Griffin looked to find Megan Mackey in the box, but her cross was too high and again, the Eagles cleared their lines.

Bianca Baptiste was looking threatening on the right wing and looked to drive in a low cross to the striker, but Ellie Hack was there to provide a vital interception keeping the game level. 

A dangerous cross was played into the Lewes area on 39 minutes and Sammy Quayle was able to get there first and head it behind for a corner.

The Rooks had one more chance before half-time. Simran Jhamat slipped Paula Howells through on goal, but Chloe Morgan was quick off of her line to shut the Lewes player down and stop the shot. 

Lewes started the second half much brighter than the first. Emily Donovan came on from the bench and skipped past the defender to lay the ball off to Howells. The number 14 had a shot, but it was well saved. While Sophie O’Rourke won Lewes a free-kick, but it was well defended by Crystal Palace.

However, on 62 minutes, the Eagles opened the scoring. A long ball reached Baptiste and she lobbed it over Saunders and fired it in from close range. 

The Rooks looked to get back into the game and ten minutes later Mackey had a chance, but she dragged her shot wide.

With ten minutes left of the 90, Crystal Palace sealed the win. Baptiste was played through again and Saunders came rushing off her line to close her down, but the Palace attacker chipped it over her doubling Crystal Palace’s lead.

Lewes searched for two late goals, but the Crystal Palace defence stood firm and limited them to few chances and the referee eventually blew the whistle for full-time. 


Lewes: Saunders, Quayle, Hack (C), Cousins, O’Rourke, Lane, Leek (Noble 76), Mackey (Boswell 76), Howells (Porter 83), Griffin (Donovan 46), Jhamat (Jones 83)

Subs not used: Hartley, Cleverly, Savva


Crystal Palace: Morgan, Nicol, Stobbs, Natkiel (Georgiou 83), Baptiste, Waldie, Khassal (Wilson 69), Rutherford (C), Haines (Taylor 69),Churchill, Hurley

Subs not used: Amy Goddard, Clifford, Gaylor, Gibbon, Ashleigh Goddard, Morgan

Goals: Baptiste 62, 80