Dear fellow Lewes FC Owners, thank you for taking time to read my Board election address. It would be an honour to represent and contribute to Lewes FC as a member of the Board of Directors and I welcome this opportunity to demonstrate why you can confidently vote for me.
I’m 37 years old, live in Barcelona and have been an Owner of Lewes FC for two years. Over the past 20+ years I have been involved in football in different ways; as a player, volunteer, coach, coach educator, project manager, researcher, and director of women ́s football.
Some professional highlights include:
- – In 2004 I coached at the University of Ghana women’s team and a football academy in Ghana.
- – Between 2008 and 2014 I lived in South Africa and worked on the men’s 2010 FIFA World Cup legacy, setting up and managing football programmes for social impact (health, education,gender equality…) in 16 countries in Africa.
- – From 2016 to 2018 I was Head of Women’s Football for a professional football group where I designed the strategy and set up the girls’ talent development academy and professional women’s team at the group’s club in Denmark.
- – From 2018 onwards I have been working for the Barça Foundation where we run inclusive, educational sports programmes for children worldwide who face systemic exclusion (from displacement, poverty, disability…)
Why I want to stand for board election
I love the ethos and ambitions of Lewes FC. I am standing to be a member of the board because I want to contribute to what I believe is the club model of the future and I’m especially drawn towards the strategic pillars of Impact on Fans & Community and Impact on the World. Even though I live 1,000 miles away I feel very much part of the club. Some fun ways I’ve engaged as an owner:
- – I organised a quiz and video screening about Lewes FC for colleagues at FC Barcelona.
- – I bought Women’s Rights Are Human Rights scarves from Lewes’ online shop for my family for Christmas (I loved that Lewes did its bit to stand in solidarity with women barred from entering football stadiums).
- – I featured on the Lewes FC Podcast (episode 9, Lucy Mills of FC Barcelona on their Community Work and Women’s Team).
- – I signed up my parents, John and Caroline, to be Owners (we’re huge football fans and travelled
together to South Africa Men’s World Cup 2010, Canada Women’s World Cup 2015, France Women’s World Cup 2019. Next up – The Dripping Pan!)
What I would do as Lewes FC board member
You can count on me to bring a deep knowledge of football (from grassroots to the elite game and of ‘football for good’ programmes) and an international perspective, as well as ideas, learnings, experiences and contacts. My specific areas of expertise include strategy development, project management, business development and sponsorship, designing football programmes and community outreach. Finally, I’m a team-player with upbeat energy and want to help attract many more football enthusiasts worldwide to join the movement at Lewes.
A copy of Lucy’s election address can be found here.