Sevenoaks Town 2 Lewes 1

Sevenoaks Town 2 - 1 Lewes
07 Sep 2016 - 19:45Great Wilderness Park, Sevenoaks

A poor performance saw Lewes crash out of the FA Cup to lower league opposition for the second consecutive season as a late goal saw Sevenoaks Town progress to the second qualifying round reports Tom Harper.

Darren Freeman made three changes to the side from the original game at the Pan on Saturday, with Stacey Freeman, Ronnie Conlon and Jamie Brotherton replacing Afolabi Coker, Jack Dixon and Dan Perry in the starting line-up.

There were few chances during the opening stages, and Lewes took the lead with the first real chance of the game after 27 minutes. Brotherton was the scorer, tapping the ball into an empty net from close range after a cross-shot from Lloyd Cotton had found him in space in front of goal.

Sevenoaks equalised with their first attack just three minutes later through Harrison Carnegie, who beat Matthew George to a long ball down the right and sent a low effort from a tight angle past Chris Winterton at his near post.

The Rooks enjoyed most of the possession for the remainder of the half, with Alex Laing seeing two efforts comfortably saved by Oshane Brown as they looked to regain their lead.

Despite this, Sevenoaks came close to taking the lead just before half-time as Joe Bingham saw his effort from the edge of the area go just wide.

Lewes enjoyed their best spell of the game at the start of the second half, with Freeman having a far-post header from a Josh Jones corner deflected wide, before the impressive Brotherton sent a curling effort just wide of the upright.

The Rooks thought they had regained their lead just after the hour through Brotherton, who got the final touch on an effort from Cotton to guide the ball into the net, but was adjudged offside by the officials.

Sevenoaks came into the game at this stage, with Winterton forced into smart saves to deny Andy Constable twice and push a Chris Edwards free-kick wide.

Lewes were still posing a threat going forward though, and saw substitute Callum Kealy denied his first goal for the first team when Brown tipped his deflected effort from inside the area wide.

The hosts were continuing to create the better chances and took the lead with five minutes remaining through Jack Miles, who was left unmarked to send a looping header from a Carnegie cross over Winterton and just under the bar.

The Rooks pushed for an equaliser in the closing stages, with Freeman playing as a third centre-forward alongside Laing and Kealy, but were unable to create any opportunities and were left to reflect on not being able to turn pressure into goals during the opening stages of the second half.

Lewes will hope to put this result behind them when they return to Kent on Saturday to take on Faversham Town in the league, kick-off at 3pm.

Sevenoaks Town: Brown, Edwards, Benbow, Rodgers, Miles, Holder, Carnegie, Bingham, Constable, Gnahore, Stock.

Subs: Marsh, McCann, Walker, Lord, Camacho, Brown, Menditta.

Booked: Brown, Rodgers.

Lewes: Winterton, Brinkhurst, George, Vickers, Freeman, Malins, Conlon (Dramis 87), Cotton, Laing, Brotherton (Kealy 73), Jones (Coppola 58).

Unused Subs: Stroomberg, Hammond.

Booked: Conlon.